What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri for ipad 2!

OP
AaronB.

AaronB.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Sorry, but the url you cite refers to the iPhone 4, not the 4S. The question won't be answered until someone tears down a 4S and checks and no one has done that yet. If it turns out the RAM is 512Mb, it's pretty much a certainty that the decision not to provide Siri for the iPad (2) is a marketing call. If it's 1G, the answer may be that Siri is a big ram consumer.

Touché

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't Siri part of iOS5? I would think if the iPhone 4S only has 512MB of ram then it will only be a matter of time before you're able to get Siri on the iPad 2 (may require a jailbreak in order to do it).

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is a matter of differentiating the iPhone rather than it being solely capable. I believe a future jailbreak will be in the works!

OP
AaronB.

AaronB.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
Isn't Siri part of iOS5? I would think if the iPhone 4S only has 512MB of ram then it will only be a matter of time before you're able to get Siri on the iPad 2 (may require a jailbreak in order to do it).

Siri is only with the iphone 4s not iOS 5
but i wish it was

-Aaron

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i grabbed this screenshot yesterday, and i checked the website again right now, and they fixed it..... what do they know, that we don't!!!!

look at the memory in screenshot, then check the website....iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

now when you visit that wiki site, next to 512 MB DRAM you will see [100], which will take you to the source(info)...which is this According To chAIR Entertainment, Apple's iPhone 4S Has 512 Megabytes Of RAM -- AppAdvice also added that info below.

screen-capture-2.png

[h=1]According To chAIR Entertainment, Apple's iPhone 4S Has 512 Megabytes Of RAM[/h]

In an interview with Eurogamer, Donald Mustard (of chAIR Entertainment) recently noted that Apple’s iPhone 4S boasts 512 megabytes of RAM.
According to Eurogamer, Mustard said:
I’m still shocked that, with the iPhone 4S, I’m literally running around with a 1080p video camera in my pocket, with an eight megapixel camera, 64GB of hard drive space and an A5 chip with 512MB of memory. This is a really powerful computer, right?
The iPhone 4S’ RAM isn’t something Apple made a fuss about at Tuesday’s iPhone event, in Cupertino, CA. The handset, which is an improved version of the iPhone 4, includes an Apple A5 dual core processor alongside the aforementioned 512 megabytes of RAM.
Interestingly, both the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2 have the same internal specs, meaning that – on paper – the second generation iPad has the power to run Siri, Apple’s advanced voice recognition and text-to-speach service (which is launching as an iPhone 4S exclusive).
If you ask me, Apple wants to keep Siri an iPhone 4S only feature in order to push more people towards the handset. Let us know if the new service will convince you to upgrade in the comments.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see what there is fundamentally about Siri that wouldn't allow the iPad 2 to run it.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The developer stated in an interview that the iPhone 4S is the first device with the hardware necessary to support Siri. Maybe he wasn't considering the iPad, but there is no reason to believe that Apple is somehow holding out to force anyone to update. They don't do that...

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't call it force necessarily, I'm sure they present it as differentiating, keeping the product lines separate as they often do when featuring the iPad vs laptop etc. I can't fathom why someone would believe that Apple wouldn't keep a feature singular to entice purchases of one particular product. We'll see when the iPhone gets torn apart after release but my money is firmly on, "could run". And with jailbreakers hopefully, will run :)

BitSmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the idea of siri, but I cant really see it being useful for a while (especially in Ireland!)

All these things are so US-centric (it's a word!) at the beginning. sadface :p

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, living in Ireland > living in Oklahoma.

Only if you like to see moss covering everything! Sigh. But I suppose you mossbacks gotta' stick together!

P.S. Washington doesn't even make good whisky!

SDM44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure Siri will be available for the iPad 2.... someday.

Someday meaning after Apple banks on the Siri app for the 4S, or if/when the hype for Siri dies down and they realize pushing it out to other devices might bring back that hype.

For me personally, I don't really care about using Siri on my 4S that I have on pre-order (I've never been a fan of voice commands on any phone and always disable it).

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is another good reason for the original iPad adopters to upgrade to the iPad 3.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only if you like to see moss covering everything! Sigh. But I suppose you mossbacks gotta' stick together!

P.S. Washington doesn't even make good whisky!

You bet. Have trees in my yard that is taller than anything within 500 miles of where I grew up in Oklahoma...and a resident bald eagle. Besides, ducks from Oregon shouldn't toss stones. As for Ireland, they don't call it the Emerald Isle for nothin' (and they don't call Seattle "Emerald City" for nothin' either.)

Apologies to others for hijacking the thread.

Most reactions