1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Sir Jony Ive’s iOS 7 Set to Usher in Big Changes in Design

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    [FONT=&amp]
    [​IMG]

According to 9to5 Mac’s sources, we could be in for a bit of a shock when Apple release iOS 7 (codenamed “Innsbruck,â€), which will be the first iOS version to come from Sir Jony Ive’s leadership of the team. The report says that “multiple†people who have either seen or been officially briefed on iOS 7 says that its completely redesigned interface will be appealing to new iOS users, but in turn might be a bit unsettling for those who know and love the familiar old iOS interface. 9to5 Mac says that the new look is “very, very flat,†without any of the previous “gloss, shine, and skeumorphism†of the current iOS design. Even more worryingly, another of 9to5 Mac’s sources says that iOS 7 will have a flat look similar to that of Microsoft’s Windows Phone Metro. Apparently, in terms of iOS 7, “flat†means that the look will be very simple, without the sort of skeumorphic look of diaries and notebooks that look exactly like real-life diaries and notebooks. If true, this could be a risky move for Apple, as some might say that the skeumorphic look is one of the things that makes iOS so appealing and sets it apart from other smartphone OS interfaces. Others might say that it’s time for a change, however. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] Jony Ive paints a fresh, yet familiar, look for iOS 7 | 9to5Mac
  2. Icarus75

Icarus75 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that a change is necessary at this stage, but the implied extent of the changes made to the interface are slightly worrying. Upon iOS 7's release, I will definitely watch a lot of footage of the new operating system before deciding whether or not I want to upgrade...
  3. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +226 / 0
    Ultimately Ive should make it an option more than a full implementation until a full poll has gone through, or just leave it toggle-able
  4. Darkstar2007

Darkstar2007 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    Who's to say we won't have the option of toggling between UI's? ;)

I'm definitely gonna keep updates posted when the betas released.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. giancarlo.1946

giancarlo.1946 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You hear too many 9to5 Mac people, lets wait and see .
  6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Flat like MS? Oh no.....
  7. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    Yeah, since when does apple want to be like MS? The UI is one area that apple shouldn't touch at all. It slick, good looking and works great.

I don't like the sounds of this at at all..... :(
  8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I don't care for the skeumorphic look and would prefer more elegant design. If I'm reading an ebook, for instance, I don't need it to mimic a print book with curling pages and such. I also find the fake bookcase in Newsstand and iBooks to be totally cheesy. Good riddance if Apple purged such "features."
  9. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    9to5 Mac is pretty credible though, I would think these rumours are most likely accurate.
  10. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    The look is not nearly the same as making the OS flat like MSs. And I think most people really want additional functionality...I'm not fond of emulating a hard book either, but that part is insignificant compared to functionality issues. It's scary when the first mention we get of some real changes have to do with skeumorphic rather than useful, functional updates.
  11. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0

I don't find the speculation worrisome. It's in Apple's interests to keep up usability even if they decide to redesign. And if they screw up the OS, I'll use something else.
  12. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    Yeah, they had better remain slick and useable. That's their trademark, IMO. Don't go messing with what's working for you.
  13. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    The "flat OS" is one reason I do not like the Windows phones and their Surface tablets. No style; the color remind me of Windows for Workgroups/Windows 3.1. About all I can say is at least it is not Microsoft Bob. Yes, I said MS-Bob, Google it. Or even Bing it, if you prefer.

I might consider a MS-Surface Pro running Winstep Extreme, if at all possible. Way cool. Or rather than buy drunk and accidentally entering the new Microsoft Store, I might buy an iPad 128 GB tablet.
  14. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    Perhaps we can wait until it is available and have a look? just sayin.' My guess is Apple is going after some of that sweet Microsoft money.
  15. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +226 / 0
    If Apple is following MS, then we'll basically be disappointed since MS has a colorful history when it comes to disappointment