What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple GPS Position Report App?

LTCSZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi: I am looking for a simple GPS App that will allow me to send a position report out over Wi-Fi...Nothing fancy, just a "send my position" report...Any suggestions?...My I-Pad Air 2 has the built in GPS chip...Thanks!

twerppoet01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know anything 'simple', but the GPS HD app by MotionX will share your current position by various methods, including Messages and email.

You can do this from the app without any of the available in-app purchases.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iMessage lets you share your location by touching Send My Current Location.

I was going to mention that, but forgot how to do it. It's not obvious. Your post inspired be to find it again. You have to tap the Details button at the top right to see the option.

If the recipient is on an iOS device they get a mini-map that they can tap on for more details and options. No idea what it would look like on a non-iOS device, or if you can even send to a non-iOS device (via SMS instead of iMessages).

Note: Sending SMS via an iPad (using Messages) is only possible if you have a fairly recent iPhone that uses the same iCloud account, and the feature has been enabled.

OP
LTCSZ

LTCSZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for guiding me to imessages...I had no idea you could do that! I found an even easier way:

How to send Map locations and directions with iMessage
  1. Launch the Maps app on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Find the location you'd like to share. If you'd like to share your current location, just tap on the location arrow in order to locate yourself.
  3. Tap on the Share button.
  4. Tap on Message.
  5. Type the name of the person you'd like to share your location with and hit send.

Most reactions

Latest posts