Simple GPS Position Report App?

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by LTCSZ, May 13, 2015.

1. LTCSZ

LTCSZ
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi: I am looking for a simple GPS App that will allow me to send a position report out over Wi-Fi...Nothing fancy, just a "send my position" report...Any suggestions?...My I-Pad Air 2 has the built in GPS chip...Thanks!

2. twerppoet01

twerppoet01
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I don't know anything 'simple', but the GPS HD app by MotionX will share your current position by various methods, including Messages and email.

You can do this from the app without any of the available in-app purchases.

3. n4uau

n4uau
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    iMessage lets you share your location by touching Send My Current Location.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I was going to mention that, but forgot how to do it. It's not obvious. Your post inspired be to find it again. You have to tap the Details button at the top right to see the option.

If the recipient is on an iOS device they get a mini-map that they can tap on for more details and options. No idea what it would look like on a non-iOS device, or if you can even send to a non-iOS device (via SMS instead of iMessages).

Note: Sending SMS via an iPad (using Messages) is only possible if you have a fairly recent iPhone that uses the same iCloud account, and the feature has been enabled.

5. LTCSZ

LTCSZ
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for guiding me to imessages...I had no idea you could do that! I found an even easier way:

How to send Map locations and directions with iMessage
    1. Launch the Maps app on your iPhone or iPad.
    2. Find the location you'd like to share. If you'd like to share your current location, just tap on the location arrow in order to locate yourself.
    3. Tap on the Share button.
    4. Tap on Message.
    5. Type the name of the person you'd like to share your location with and hit send.