What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sim Card for Storage?

anken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, my husband loves his first generation iPad. It's getting more difficult now to download new apps. because his iOS version is 5.11
He will just have to get a new iPad.....It would be for WiFi only. His iPhone takes care of the calls.

My question: Does any iPad (3.or 4. Generation) have a slot for a Sim Card for extra storage?
If so, a 32 GB card would be plenty. I hope that my questions isn't redundant....have not found it under search.
Thank you in advance for any answers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
SD card slots are the ones that add storage. No model of iPad has one, so be sure to buy an iPad with enough storage to begin with. There is no way to add to it.

SIM slots are not for storage. They are used by your cellular provider to set your phone up with a plan on their network. Since you are getting a wi-fi only model, there will be no SIM slot.

Note: SIM cards can hold some kinds of data, like contacts and other phone specific stuff. This is almost exclusively used on older non-smart phones. Newer smart phones rarely use the 'very' limited storage available on a SIM card.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, my husband loves his first generation iPad. It's getting more difficult now to download new apps. because his iOS version is 5.11
He will just have to get a new iPad.....It would be for WiFi only. His iPhone takes care of the calls.

My question: Does any iPad (3.or 4. Generation) have a slot for a Sim Card for extra storage?
If so, a 32 GB card would be plenty. I hope that my questions isn't redundant....have not found it under search.
Thank you in advance for any answers.
SIM cards are not used for data storage, they're used for info such as your cell phone number, cellular service provider, etc. they're used on WiFi plus cellular iPads when signing up for a data plan with your cellular carrier.

iPads use flash storage for storage purposes. The later iPads, iPad 4 and newer, offer storage sizes as high as 128gb. You have to choose the right storage capacity at the time of purchase as storage capacity cannot be increased.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As mentioned above, the iPad doesn't have the hardware required to accept any sort of memory card.

You can extend the memory with wireless 'WiFi' attached drives like the Western Digital MyPassport Wireless... But then you'll have extra gear to drag around with you and extra batteries to worry about.

Considering the cost of purchasing such a drive, it would be probably be wiser spending the money on an iPad with more internal memory. However, if 128 GB isn't enough, then you can get into the Terabyte range with a wireless external drive.

One more thing to know about the WiFi only iPad... They have no internal GPS receiver and as such, many navigation apps won't work with them. But if you don't plan on using the new iPad for GPS navigation, you can get by with the WiFi only model.

OP
A

anken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you to all who took the time to answer my question. No, he won't need the GPS function. 32GB storage is probably enough. Too bad I was hoping to be able to get away with buying a 16GB iPad and then expand to 32GB via sim card...Oh well....
Most of all, thank you to everybody! I appreciate your input.

Most reactions