What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shuffle function

seamaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to this forum and would appreciate anyone's help with my problem, my shuffle function on my iPads iPod has stopped shuffling songs, it just replays the same track, any ideas, mine is an iPad one.

Many thanks !!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Look at the replay icon. It's an oval/arrow sort of thing. If it's gray it means that the playlist, album, whatever will only play once. If it's blue it will replay the entire playlist, album, whatever. If it's blue and has a little "1" that means it will replay the same song over and over and over. . .

Tap to cycle through the options.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If replay is set to one, it does not matter whether you have shuffle turned on or not. It will play the same song over and over. The only difference is that you will get a random song, instead of the first song in the album, playlist, whatever.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If replay is set to one, it does not matter whether you have shuffle turned on or not. It will play the same song over and over. The only difference is that you will get a random song, instead of the first song in the album, playlist, whatever.
I see what you're saying. You're approaching it from the assumption that he has shuffle enabled and replay set to 1, overriding shuffle. I was approaching it from the assumption that he didn't have shuffle enabled at all. My bad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I liked the video link; did not know you could get a shuffle for the all songs list by dragging down, so thanks for that! :D

If you have shuffle turned off, it should play all songs in the playlist/album in sequence from your fist selected song onward. Unless there is only one song in the album/playlist: Then, if replay were turned on it would play that song again and. . .

All in all, I'm making assumptions about what is going on and could easily be wrong. I just picked the one thing that could both cause the problem and be easily overlooked.

My second suggestion if that isn't the cause is to perform a restart and then a reset (like you did) if that did not work. I suggest the restart first because Apple does, not because there have been any reports of problems from doing the reset instead. Instructions to follow, just in case the OP needs them.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem. I liked the video link; did not know you could get a shuffle for the all songs list by dragging down, so thanks for that! :D

If you have shuffle turned off, it should play all songs in the playlist/album in sequence from your fist selected song onward. Unless there is only one song in the album/playlist: Then, if replay were turned on it would play that song again and. . .

All in all, I'm making assumptions about what is going on and could easily be wrong. I just picked the one thing that could both cause the problem and be easily overlooked.

My second suggestion if that isn't the cause is to perform a restart and then a reset (like you did) if that did not work. I suggest the restart first because Apple does, not because there have been any reports of problems from doing the reset instead. Instructions to follow, just in case the OP needs them.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.
Good catch on the reset/restart thing. I'm always getting them confused, especially if I don't go look it up first.:(:D

OP
S

seamaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys, I'm still at a loss though, still can't get it to work, I've re set it, uploaded the latest soft ware and re synced. I'm confused though when one of you guys mentioned a repeat function !! Where is that situated on the iPad one ? Maybe that function could be the answer, many thanks again !! Been stuck in Greece with work apologies for my late reply.

Cheers !

OP
S

seamaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just downloaded the ipad user guide and found the answer, were sorted now,
Many thanks again

Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts