What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shsh blobs...what are they and how do you save em?

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not real clear on this topic.how do you save,restore them?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You save them in cydia using the "make your life easier button. Basically instead of asking apple if the software you are trying to load is the latest one...it tricks it. In doing so you can downgrade your firmware.

madbuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iSH**** is available in cydia, can email you your shsh blobs for safe keeping

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about the first part of the question: what are they???
What they are is a digital signature that is normally received from Apple via iTunes during a restore process. It's like iTunes asks Apple, "May I get your signature to approve the loading of this firmware?"

When you go to restore your iPad (or other iOS device) iTunes sends Apple your device ID, and of course the firmware version you are trying to restore. If Apple is still signing that firmware Apple sends back a signature that is only good for that device ID, and that specific firmware. If iTunes gets that signature it loads your firmware and you are happily restoring.

But if Apple is NOT signing that firmware, as is the case now for all iPad firmware other than 4.2.1, iTunes will not load it.

That is where saving the SHSH blobs comes in. Saving, and then using, your SHSH blobs is a two step process.

The first step, which has to occur BEFORE Apple stops signing a given firmware, is contacting the same Apple server that iTunes would be contacting and giving it the same information as iTunes would. Apple dutifully replies with the signature. This signature is then saved, ready to be used if needed by the second step of the process. This is your saved SHSH!

You can save the SHSH blobs using the Cydia app, the aforementioned dedicated app, or by using TinyUmbrella on your computer. This is the process that gets the signature from Apple and then saves the result.

The second step is the reverse. Now the job is not to fool Apple into thinking it is getting a request from iTunes but rather to fool iTunes into thinking it is getting a signature from Apple--when in fact it is contacting a different server than Apple's, which behaves the same way. But since we already have that saved SHSH signature, that server dutifully complies and sends it back to iTunes. iTunes is happy and restores. The result is you can now load firmware that would normally not load.

When it comes time to restore a firmware no longer being signed you can modify your computer's hosts file to redirect any requests to Apple's signing server to Cydia's server. Or you can use TinyUmbrella without having to mess with editing any hosts file.

Hope this helped make it clearer to someone! :)

Michael

Last edited:
OP
Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Which ones should I have? Cydia states I have 3.3,3.21,3.22,4.2b3 after a save. Will these suffice?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which ones should I have? Cydia states I have 3.3,3.21,3.22,4.2b3 after a save. Will these suffice?
Well I am not sure where 3.3 came from... there was no 3.3 for the iPad.

But aside from that you should get 4.2.1 saved--you have 4.2b3, which is 4.2 beta 3.... you want to get non-beta 4.2.1 saved, the most current firmware as of right now.

Michael

OP
Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I am not sure where 3.3 came from... there was no 3.3 for the iPad.

But aside from that you should get 4.2.1 saved--you have 4.2b3, which is 4.2 beta 3.... you want to get non-beta 4.2.1 saved, the most current firmware as of right now.

Michael

sorry....3.2

tiny umbrella states(after a save) I have 4.21 saved though cydia doesnt reflect this. saved over 24 hrs ago.

2876119212879-ipad-4.2.1.shsh

Can I go ahead and JB?

p.s. I used ishshit to email all.Will this suffice as a backup?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what tinyumbrella looks like for me when I select my iPad. You can see that I have 3.2.2, 4.2b3, and 4.2.1 saved... these blobs are actually on my hard drive and can be used for a restore by tinyumbrella.
attachment.php

Here is where I had tinyumbrella save my SHSH blobs. You can find out where yours are being saved by checking here.... but don't change it now as it will not move them to the new location. Just make a note of where they are.

attachment.php

If you have 4.2.1 saved on your computer don't worry about Cydia. You can always use TinyUmbrella to use your own locally-saved blobs.

Michael

Attachments

• TU2.JPG
    TU2.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 387
  • TU3.JPG
    TU3.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
OP
Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems with 4.2, you will not be able to progress to an untethered jb if you don't save.plus,if things go bunk,you can restore to previous versions.
Am I correct or will I stand corrected?

Most reactions

Latest posts