Should this be the smell of leather?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by NLAlston, Feb 25, 2011.

1. NLAlston

NLAlston iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently bought an AYL Leather 3-in-1 Folio for my IPad, and have been plagued with a toxic type of smell emanating from it. I had looked at a similar Folio from another manufacturer, first, but had read about how horribly their offering smelled. Having found the one I have - with no mention to be found of such odors - I ordered it. But this thing reeks and, in the few days that I have had it, there seems to have been not even the slightest degree of lessening.

I don't know if anyone else has had experience with what I am plagued with, but wonder if there is some type of leather treatment which might help to combat the offending odor.
  2. toasty_hoodie

toasty_hoodie iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's probably not leather really. My YooBao Slim is real leather, and I can hold it to my nose and enjoy the smell to this day.
  3. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    AYL = Alternative Yechhh Leather. They use skunk skins. They haven't quite got the hang of completely eliminating the pong, LOL.

(j/k)
  4. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    The dyes they use to get a uniform color on leather can be very strong and the smell will depend on how long they had it before shipping.
    Your best bet is to leave it outside for a couple of days and hope it starts to fade.
    Thats assuming it's genuine leather :(