1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Should this be the smell of leather?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by NLAlston, Feb 25, 2011.

1. NLAlston

NLAlston iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently bought an AYL Leather 3-in-1 Folio for my IPad, and have been plagued with a toxic type of smell emanating from it. I had looked at a similar Folio from another manufacturer, first, but had read about how horribly their offering smelled. Having found the one I have - with no mention to be found of such odors - I ordered it. But this thing reeks and, in the few days that I have had it, there seems to have been not even the slightest degree of lessening.

I don't know if anyone else has had experience with what I am plagued with, but wonder if there is some type of leather treatment which might help to combat the offending odor.
  2. toasty_hoodie

toasty_hoodie iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's probably not leather really. My YooBao Slim is real leather, and I can hold it to my nose and enjoy the smell to this day.
  3. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    AYL = Alternative Yechhh Leather. They use skunk skins. They haven't quite got the hang of completely eliminating the pong, LOL.

(j/k)
  4. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    The dyes they use to get a uniform color on leather can be very strong and the smell will depend on how long they had it before shipping.
    Your best bet is to leave it outside for a couple of days and hope it starts to fade.
    Thats assuming it's genuine leather :(