What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i upgrade from ipad 3 to ipad 4?

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question.

Alls I know is it's a heckofalot faster than my hubby's Toshiba laptop. His computer was new in June and that thing, while fast to him compared to his old HP, is like watching a pot of water boil!
So a few more secs here & there doesn't bug me too much. I'm glad I got what I got(a 3).
I have a feeling that you really get to point of splitting hairs with speed.

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 purchased in April. Only issue I have is with the battery which drains too quickly. I have learned to use the off button during the day and it lasts longer. I checked at my local Best Buy and found they would give me $355 in trade for a new one (32GB Wi-Fi). Not worth $245 difference to me for an upgrade. I could sell mine for more but the whole thing doesn't seem to be worth the fuss. I have decided to buy a new iPod instead for $299 and have a "mini-mini" iPad to carry with me when I don't want the full size.

Talk2USoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
applechick said:
I really would like to know if its worth it for me to upgrade from my 3 to the 4? I'm having a hard time justifying it as I own two ipad 3's for my own personal use, three ipad 2's and and original ipad for the husband and kids. Can someone who has the 4 tell me if its REALLY much of a change?

I think the answer lies with your hesitation. I'm feeling the same way and yet at EVERY other new release I pre-ordered. The reviews I have read haven't won me over. I can wait if the confirmed change is indeed "incremental". I haven't been happy with the 3's battery life or it's heft, but if I find out the 4's processor smokes the 3's (in the same way iPhone 5 smokes the 4S), I'm in. I'm just not going to be updating every six months. I feel VERY let down by the 4th being released in the same year as the 3 (and intellectually, I realize how silly that sounds!)

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 purchased in April. Only issue I have is with the battery which drains too quickly. I have learned to use the off button during the day and it lasts longer. I checked at my local Best Buy and found they would give me $355 in trade for a new one (32GB Wi-Fi). Not worth $245 difference to me for an upgrade. I could sell mine for more but the whole thing doesn't seem to be worth the fuss. I have decided to buy a new iPod instead for $299 and have a "mini-mini" iPad to carry with me when I don't want the full size.

Good move....
Your iPad 3 is a great device and not worth upgrading, especially for $200+ premium.
If it was around $100 diffrence it may take some thinkng but I personally still wouldn't of done it.

Wait until next upgrade and see if there is enough incentive to make the move.

Nemesis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I realize this might not be exactly the right topic for this, but the thread I wanted to post in was closed. If someone was buying an iPad from say, Walmart, Target, Best Buy (i.e. not an Apple Store)...how can they tell the difference between buying the 3rd generation and the 4th generation? I'm asking this for a non-tech savvy person who doesn't understand what the "A6X" processor means, etc. I realize that the 4th gen has a lightning connector, but is there nothing on the box which actually says "4th generation"? A quick Internet search says the boxes are pretty much identical.

Since they are the same price, what's to say that someone could go looking to upgrade their 3rd generation to the 4th generation and end up with the exact same iPad (or be looking to upgrade to the 4th generation and get the 3rd generation instead)? I don't know if Apple is requiring other stores to stop selling the 3rd generation iPads or not, but I can't imagine they are. Ultimately I guess it could be a "buyer beware" thing, but I was curious if anyone had thoughts.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I realize this might not be exactly the right topic for this, but the thread I wanted to post in was closed. If someone was buying an iPad from say, Walmart, Target, Best Buy (i.e. not an Apple Store)...how can they tell the difference between buying the 3rd generation and the 4th generation? I'm asking this for a non-tech savvy person who doesn't understand what the "A6X" processor means, etc. I realize that the 4th gen has a lightning connector, but is there nothing on the box which actually says "4th generation"? A quick Internet search says the boxes are pretty much identical.

Since they are the same price, what's to say that someone could go looking to upgrade their 3rd generation to the 4th generation and end up with the exact same iPad (or be looking to upgrade to the 4th generation and get the 3rd generation instead)? I don't know if Apple is requiring other stores to stop selling the 3rd generation iPads or not, but I can't imagine they are. Ultimately I guess it could be a "buyer beware" thing, but I was curious if anyone had thoughts.

As you mention the lightning connector is the best quick visual indicator that you have an iPad 4.
Otherwise I'm sure you could decipher the model number but that's not an easy thing.

To answer your other question...........I've seen many places still selling the iPad 3 and touting it as "the new iPad".
I've seen it online, in the stores, and on home shopping shows on TV.
Some are discounting the iPad 3 about $50.............others are asking the same price and some are even asking more!

Apple has made a mess of this IMHO........I'm sure there are many customers getting ripped off because of not properly naming <and labeling> each version.

Nemesis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you mention the lightning connector is the best quick visual indicator that you have an iPad 4.
Otherwise I'm sure you could decipher the model number but that's not an easy thing.

To answer your other question...........I've seen many places still selling the iPad 3 and touting it as "the new iPad".
I've seen it online, in the stores, and on home shopping shows on TV.
Some are discounting the iPad 3 about $50.............others are asking the same price and some are even asking more!

Apple has made a mess of this IMHO........I'm sure there are many customers getting ripped off because of not properly naming <and labeling> each version.

With the Lightning Connector, yes, this is true, however the box does not show the port on the picture. Unless you read the specs on the back I don't think there's a way to tell the difference, especially since it's just called "iPad".

I agree 100% that this is a real mess made by Apple. When they changed the naming convention from a numerical one to just "iPad", it just opened the door for trouble. I know that Apple was offering people free upgrades if they had bought the 3rd generation iPad 30 days before the 4th generation was announced. Hopefully that promotion extends past the announcement so that a blunder like this wouldn't result in a really unhappy customer for getting completely ripped off. Especially when you make a product obsolete in your own stores, improving the hardware and selling it for the exact same price. Anyone who is sold the old version deserves a refund no questions asked, in my opinion at least.

Talk2USoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nemesis said:

Unless I'm missing something you can just Google/Bing the model number.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something you can just Google/Bing the model number.

Not everyone has a smart phone that they can use in the middle of a Target or Walmart if they are doubting the version the supplier is selling.
I don't own a smart phone and never will...........I need my sanity.

Last edited:

Talk2USoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
buerkletucson said:
Not everyone has a smart phone that they can use in the middle of a Target or Walmart.

Okay, then use one of the display ones or copy down the model number to research at your convenience.

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not everyone has a smart phone that they can use in the middle of a Target or Walmart if they are doubting the version the supplier is selling.

Target and Walmart both have 30 day return policies. If your purchase doesn't have the lightning connector, you can return the iPad. Our local Target and Walmart stores haven't gotten any of the new devices in except for one iPod 5 at a Walmart.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I mentioned just forget the part number <and smart phone idea> and look at the box contents and make sure it says lightning connector and your good to go.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The model number is on the bottom of the box and is the key to your issues. It usually is on the invoice as well so there is no need to be concerned.

Model numbers
You can see the model number in Settings, General, About, Model. The model number has a two-letter code, a number and some more letters. The last part stands for the country/region[1]. The first letter can be "F" (refurbished), "M" (normal retail), or "P" (personalized / engraved). For example MC605B is the model MC605 and B is for the region[1].*It is also on the bottom of the sealed box so just find out what model(s) iPad you want and then you can verify it just by looking at the box. This apples to any product.

iPad 3 – Black
MC705ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi only 16GB - Black
MC706ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi only 32GB - Black
MC707ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi only 64GB - Black

MD366ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi + 4G 16GB - Black
MD367ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi + 4G 32GB - Black
MD368ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB - Black

iPad 3 – White
MD328ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi only 16GB - White
MD329ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi only 32GB - White
MD330ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi only 64GB - White

MD369ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi + 4G 16GB - White
MD370ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi + 4G 32GB - White
MD371ZmP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB - White

Below is a link to the complete list of model numbers. Ignor everything except the right hand product code.
Please note this list is USA only and does not reflect the several region models for iPad 4 th generation 4g and ipad min 4g. In saying that the wifi codes will be the same expect the region number will change. Hope that helps.
http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Models

Most reactions

Latest posts