What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I shop for either a GPS or an ipad to start Geocaching?

yongavery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which technology has more "user-friendly features" for Geocaching? I'm shopping for either a GPS or an ipod or an ipad.
And is WiFi-accessibility required for either one?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends if you have any other uses for an iPad. An iPod is out, because they are wifi only and you'll need 3G.

For what you are suggesting, I would recommend the Garmin Nüvi, because you can very easily zoom in as you get closer to your objective. The TomTom, while a fine piece of equipment, doesn't feel so easy to use. However I have much more experience with the Garmin so I guess I'm biased.

The iPad 3/4G will do what you want but at a huge price difference.

carmelosawyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are looking for a GPS for geocaching, then you have 1 question to answer...

Are you going to do only urban caching?

If the answer is yes, then you can go with a droid or iphone or maybe even an ipad with the appropriate apps..

However, if you may be going into any environment where the rugged or weatherproof qualities of the equipment may be a concern, then you want a dedicated GPS made for such activity.

Many caches are hidden in trees, on hillsides, along rugged trails, in rocks, etc. If you are lugging about an ipad, you'll have problems because you may well need both hands to maneuver. Plus, all these non-rugged devices can be easily broken or damaged by water if you got caught in the rain, fell in a creek, or dropped them in a pond. You also have to consider that these devices rely on some form of wireless communication, be it cell or WiFi. There are many places out there where caches are located that these devices won't work as expected.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there-I am going to move this out of our Special Needs Forum and into General Discussions.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hi there-I am going to move this out of our Special Needs Forum and into General Discussions.

Oops, sorry! Didn't notice where the thread was. I should have moved it right away.

daydream58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you're out and about geocaching in urban areas with good cell tower coverage, you'll love the geocaching app, which is made for the iphone as far as I know they haven't made an iPad specific version. The "intro" app they offer is pretty different from the actual app as well. It's more for introducing people to geocaching, more so than introducing them to the full-featured app. They are both a pleasure to use in urban areas on an iPhone though. I would NOT recommend geocaching with an iPad. It's will draw too much attention and you're meant to be in "stealth mode" whilst out geocaching. It's just too big as well IMHO an iPhone would be better.

The problem is the minute you get into the woods or away from cell towers, your iDevices of choice won't do much for you in the way of locating geocaches. For times like those I either take my Garmin or just cache with friends with GPSrs and help with the "hunt" at ground zero more so than getting to ground zero in the first place.

Wi-fi is not needed or used to geocache per se, but may be handy for logging whilst out and about stopped at a coffee shop or etc. To get the GPS data into my Garmin, I use USB to my computer to get the data from either geocaching.com or garmin.com

To get the data on the iDevice I just hit the "show me caches around here" wherever I am and that's all there is to it. It's also nice to log my finds from the field instead of having to wait until I get home like a lot of cachers do. If you're into "power trails" (getting a lot of caches in one day or whatever) you may be better served with an actual GPSr as you can download like trials or planned routes (if you are a premium member of geocaching.com that is) and move through them quickly to rack up the numbers. But if you're more casual about it and really out for the scenery and exercise like me, you'll be happy enough with an iDevice approach, but I just have to say I can't imagine doing it with a large iPad. The trails are pretty rough where I live tho. I do urbans around town, but the majority of caches in my area are deep in the woods, up steep mountains or around the beach areas with lots of scrambling over rocks, etc. Trying to carry an iPad and follow a path while going over terrain so rough is just not really doable for me.

It's a GREAT hobby to have, I've only got about 430 caches, but I love to get out in the good weather and enjoy the great scenery of all the places you'd never bother actually going if it weren't for geocaching. Have fun!

Deedee

Most reactions

Latest posts