What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i just exchange my ipad 2 for a new one to get ios4 back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
poser what the hell has happened to apples quality control? seriously, 5 ipads now and all literally had either scratches, dents, dead pixels or what not. My new one i just did a full dead pixel test on it and it has a bright blue stuck or dead pixel. Plus the 2 small dust particles on the left side. But really im not gonna bother going back again, this is just ridiculous all the running around i had to do this morning. I shouldnt have to inspect the thing when i buy it.

With that being said im going to call apple tech support tommorow and mention this to them and ask what they can do to compensate me. How about sending me a free ipad 2 for all this hocus pocus running around?

Last edited:

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
aren't the units manufactured in cleanrooms, where dust is almost nil?

apple should hire you for quality control, you have an eye for physical defects.

your next issue would probably be backlight bleeding. brace up for it...

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
poser what the hell has happened to apples quality control? seriously, 5 ipads now and all literally had either scratches, dents, dead pixels or what not. My new one i just did a full dead pixel test on it and it has a bright blue stuck or dead pixel. Plus the 2 small dust particles on the left side. But really im not gonna bother going back again, this is just ridiculous all the running around i had to do this morning. I shouldnt have to inspect the thing when i buy it.

With that being said im going to call apple tech support tommorow and mention this to them and ask what they can do to compensate me. How about sending me a free ipad 2 for all this hocus pocus running around?

I have one comment I really donot understand your issue I have more than 400 iPad 2 with clients all whom are over the moon with the quality control and how good the iPad is. Apart from 2 and I mean 2 iPads that I replaced because of a faulty home switch non have any of the issues you complain about. If I recall you have gone through this replacement issue with every type of tab you purchased so my suggestion is go buy a Acer tab...... or Asus or Toshiba. They are perfect NOT .... Whoops did I say that.

I suggest you give up and get a pen and pencil and a tablet to write on. .

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
I have one comment I really donot understand your issue I have more than 400 iPad 2 with clients all whom are over the moon with the quality control and how good the iPad is. Apart from 2 and I mean 2 iPads that I replaced because of a faulty home switch non have any of the issues you complain about. If I recall you have gone through this replacement issue with every type of tab you purchased so my suggestion is go buy a Acer tab...... or Asus or Toshiba. They are perfect NOT .... Whoops did I say that.

I suggest you give up and get a pen and pencil and a tablet to write on. .

So let me ask you, you'd be ok if your $600pad has a dent on the screen or scratches on it or a few dust specs under the screen or a stuck pixel? Ya that's right didn't think so. This is stuff that shouldn't even be happening.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can sympathize with OP on this one. My iPad is just fine but I went through hell with Motorola Android phones the summer of 2010. I went though like 6 of them, and they made me settle for the phone I have now which is a total POS I only have to put up with for 23 more days.. If Verizon has iPhone 4S' in, which they BETTER.

Point being, sometimes people really get in a mess of bad luck.

OP, I'd go to a different Apple store and try to exchange it again. You shouldn't settle for dust under the screen.. Like you said, it is an expensive device.

That being said, and I don't want to be annoying, but you could've fixed your original one and gotten iOS 5 working on it just fine.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
If you have an Apple Store in your market, see if they'll swap it for you. Even though you purchased it from a second party vendor,
a patient explanation of what you've endured will probably warrant a good will exchange. It's worth a shot especially if the
shipment that went to Future Shop somehow came from a bad production run.

Good luck.

AA

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
can a pic be posted, showing the 2 specks of dust? not to sound cynical, but i'm really interested in finding out how distraught i can be if i get to have such a quality issue...

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So let me ask you, you'd be ok if your $600pad has a dent on the screen or scratches on it or a few dust specs under the screen or a stuck pixel? Ya that's right didn't think so. This is stuff that shouldn't even be happening.

Please understand this I will not be drawn in to a slinging match nor accept any personal remarks that are not in the best interest of this forum. The one thing I will state is I have been delivering Apple products to my customers since 1982 and this includes several thousand Macs not to mention a huge range of peripherals. My clients are high end corporate and small business owners and expect nothing but the best. In order to achieve their needs I verify and test every item I sell regardless if it is a Mac or even 60 Macs or combination of laptops and in this case iPads. My customer satisfaction is number one. Complaints of the nature you have are rare. The quality control that Apple provides is the best in the industry and the testing procedures I use are Apple certified. I cannot afford to have problems period.

I am not questioning that you do not have issues but what I cannot understand after going back through your posts is every product you purchased including competitive tablets you return for some reason or another. My advice get your money back and move on as it seems nothing in this world is going to satisfy you.

Please also note any further discussions regarding quality control and issues you are personally having should be taken up with Apple and not here. I repeat our forums are private and not affiliated with Apple.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
I can sympathize with OP on this one. My iPad is just fine but I went through hell with Motorola Android phones the summer of 2010. I went though like 6 of them, and they made me settle for the phone I have now which is a total POS I only have to put up with for 23 more days.. If Verizon has iPhone 4S' in, which they BETTER.

Point being, sometimes people really get in a mess of bad luck.

OP, I'd go to a different Apple store and try to exchange it again. You shouldn't settle for dust under the screen.. Like you said, it is an expensive device.

That being said, and I don't want to be annoying, but you could've fixed your original one and gotten iOS 5 working on it just fine.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Well like I said I've tried everything for it. Trust me I didn't want to have to exchange it but it came down to that plus yesterday was already 1 day over my future shop return policy so they were nice enough to let it slide. That's why I had to do it all yesterday cause today would be too late with future shop. I've restored my very first iPad about 5 times and did the step by step instructions by friends even doing hard reset and a DHU or whatever the he'll it's called restore. Set them up as completely new devices each time.

Nothing fixed my browsers from randomly crashing. It was something driving me nuts and I can't wait god knows however long for apples next update. It was a deal breaker to me. So I had no choice but to swap it. Even by swapping it once, there is no reason that should have to turn into 4! I mean the previous 3 I had, brand new units....I didn't even turn any of them on and already had instant defects out of the box. Just completely unacceptable and I'll be calling apple cause I want some kind of compensation.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
If you have an Apple Store in your market, see if they'll swap it for you. Even though you purchased it from a second party vendor,
a patient explanation of what you've endured will probably warrant a good will exchange. It's worth a shot especially if the
shipment that went to Future Shop somehow came from a bad production run.

Good luck.

AA

I'm not gonna bother anymore. Ill have to live with the 2 dust specs and 1 stuck pixel. The unit I have now has 4.5 on it and who knows maybe the next one if I swap will have a new problem. I'm just tired of this running around.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
88raymond said:
can a pic be posted, showing the 2 specks of dust? not to sound cynical, but i'm really interested in finding out how distraught i can be if i get to have such a quality issue...

No camera will pick up my current iPad cause they're so small but the first one i swapped had huge ones I was able to see right out of the box, and I don't even have that great eyesight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts