What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I invest in Applecare+?

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a 2 before for a little over a year, I decided to sell it and do without for a while but I missed it so I just bought a 3.
I have an Oberon leather bifold case both were always kept in. I am a work from home mom and do home childcare. My iPad is either in my hands OR put up ontop of our fridge when charging or not in use. I am very careful but things do happen, although when I sold my 2 it was flawless and worked just fine.

However, the nearly $1000 expense of each device is not something we can easily do, I saved for a year to get my 2 and put my 3 on a charge card. Insurance like Apple care + is supposed to be to prevent financial disaster, and while this wouldn't necessarily be true, we wouldn't be able to get me another one for a long time if it did die or get broken.

Would you get AppleCare+ on your 64gb 4g iPad 3?

I have 10 more days to decide. I'll need to get it inspected about an hour away at the Apple store in Omaha since I bought it at Walmart. I used a Walmart store card, so there is no extended warranty that some regular charge cards have on them.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got it on mine. While I typically do not purchase an extended warrently on electroncis (and I have LOTS of gadgets), I made the exception for the iPad because it is a mobile device and the likelihood of dropping it is much greater than all my other electroncis. Also, now I don't have to worry about it. It makes life a bit easier. I don't plan on dropping it, either.

You will get different opinions on this. In the end, the decision is yours to make. No one knows you as you do. :)

OP
N

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.

Yah, I know I'll get both sides of the issue. I don't usually get extended warranties on anything and didn't with my 2, mostly since it didn't cover accidental damage anyways. But now that it does and I know what going without my iPad is like and what our finances are and that I won't be upgrading to any future gens unless this one becomes inoperable, I think maybe I should this time.
Of course the accounting smart people always say extended stuff is a rip off, and it may very well not get used in my case. Worst case: I spend another $100 on insurance I won't use over a 2 year period and eat it OR I spend $150 if my pad dies and get a brand new replacement. If I don't buy it, I'm either $100 richer and my iPad is fine or I have $100 to spend on a device I can't afford to replace because it died/broke.

I'm leaning towards peace of mind but wanted to hear what others had to say.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just purchased an iPad 3............
I decided not to purchase the warranty. If you didn't have to pay another $49 for replacement I would of definitely done it.
Doesn't sound like they replace a damaged one with new....probably a refurbed unit.

As you said, it's a personal choice each owner has to make.

ipad-title.png

Every iPad comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPad extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPad and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee.[SUP]1[/SUP]

1. Service coverage is available only for the iPad and its original included accessories for protection against (i) defects in materials or workmanship, (ii) battery depletion of 50 percent or more from original specification, and (iii) up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling of your iPad, each incident being subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax. Replacement equipment that Apple provides as part of the repair or replacement service may be new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability. See terms at Apple - Legal - Service Products - AppleCare Protection Plan for full details.
  2. Availability of each option depends on country in which service is requested and location of Apple Authorized Service Provider. Service coverage may be subject to certain restrictions.
  3. The AirPort device or Time Capsule must be purchased up to two years before your iPad purchase or during the term of your AppleCare+ coverage.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A replacement most likely will be a refurb...but the refurbs function as knew, for all practical purposes.

So, for peice of mind, you pay $100. For one incident, you pay $150. For two, within two years, you've paid $200.

I've heard tell that if you drop an iPad with no AC+, then they charge you $200 to repair it. I don't know if that is true, but I've heard that. So comparing to that, one incident you are saving $50 (AC+:$100+$50 vs $200) and for two you are saving $200 (AC+:$100+$50+$50 vs $200+$200).

I donno....it is probably NOT worth it, unless you have kids who will use it or you are known to be clumsy.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know it's contrary to what you may hear from a lot of people, but my 4G 64MB White 3rd generation is covered by the Apple+. I got it before I left the store as part of the purchase price. I think, in addition to the repair/replacement it also gives you extended support if you need to call for help. I considered it as part of buying the iPad and haven't thought about it since. If I never have to use it great! but if I do...
I get peace of mind knowing if I am a goof and do something dumb it won't cost me through the roof to get it back

OP
N

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

I think if I didn't use it so much daily, I wouldn't get it. But it just seems more dumb not to than dumb to buy it. I realize if I need it, I'll probably get a refurb but that is better than a device I can't even use. I am confident that even 2 years for now, my 3 would still work well enough for what I need it for that it wouldn't bother me to not upgrade if I got a replacement device. I bought the highest gig and it has 4g, which I wont outgrow anytime soon. Only thing that might be an issue is continuing RAM memory issues causing crashes as more sites get more graphics.

Eh, I think I'll get it this Saturday. Looks like a trip to Omaha is in order!

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks!

I think if I didn't use it so much daily, I wouldn't get it. But it just seems more dumb not to than dumb to buy it. I realize if I need it, I'll probably get a refurb but that is better than a device I can't even use. I am confident that even 2 years for now, my 3 would still work well enough for what I need it for that it wouldn't bother me to not upgrade if I got a replacement device. I bought the highest gig and it has 4g, which I wont outgrow anytime soon. Only thing that might be an issue is continuing RAM memory issues causing crashes as more sites get more graphics.

Eh, I think I'll get it this Saturday. Looks like a trip to Omaha is in order!

Good for you.........

The only thing that concerns me is the heat issue on the iPad 3 units.
Will this shorten the life of the components inside over the next year and start causing issues?

Thanks for the thread!
Now your making me think I should purchase it for mine also.......darn-it. :D

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Applecare on our two New iPads as I do on three Mac computers. As someone said above, I generally do not purchase extended warranties figuring that if I felt I really needed it I should buy a different make or model. BUT, these are very portable devices and things do sometimes happen. Yes, it does make the 64 GB 4G/Wifi quite the pricey device, certainly more than the cost of a number of windows lap tops. BUT, they are irreplaceable in our lives now allowing each of us accesses to all the things iPads present at any time and any place including flying down the road on vacation.

Most reactions