What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I go for the external keyboard?

rishi85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never used the touchscreen application and one of my primary uses of the I-pad will be to write. Write lots of notes and scripts. As such, I was really looking forward to getting used to the touchscreen lifestyle but many people are telling me beforehand that its a hard thing to get used to. They are recommending me to go for the blue-tooth keyboard and I really don't want to as of now. What is your personal opinion? Does it take some getting used to and is it still cumbersome to use the touchscreen?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe Give It A Week

I have never used the touchscreen application and one of my primary uses of the I-pad will be to write. Write lots of notes and scripts. As such, I was really looking forward to getting used to the touchscreen lifestyle but many people are telling me beforehand that its a hard thing to get used to. They are recommending me to go for the blue-tooth keyboard and I really don't want to as of now. What is your personal opinion? Does it take some getting used to and is it still cumbersome to use the touchscreen?

Or so before you decide? I use touch screen devices all the time, but the onscreen keyboard on the Ipad is the best I have ever used. Many keyboards are available, Bluetooth etc. and others here know far more about them than I do. Personally, I really prefer the Ipad KB to my laptop. :)

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree, give the touchscreen more time

It works well for me. I have the Apple key pad doc (now under a considerable layer of dust), the Apple blue tooth keyboard which I use with my MacBook Pro, and the Zagg blue tooth keyboard which I gave to my daughter with my original iPad.

If you want to use a keyboard with the iPad just use a laptop - the same amount of space and access to the word processing software of your choice. One of the main strengths of the iPad, to me, is it's extreme portability and ease of use. The more doodads you connect to it the less useful and transportable it is.

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rushed out and bought the Apple bluetooth keyboard. It is fast and very responsive to use, but it is also in my briefcase 99% of the time. If I know I am sitting down to do some extended typing, I'll break it out. Otherwise, it just sits. If you do decide to go with an Apple keyboard, look into the Oragami keyboard case. The case turns into a stand for your ipad as well as guards the keyboard from scratches. I tend to agree with the previous posts and take a "wait and see" approach. Good luck!

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple bluetooth keyboard is superb if you have a lot of text input to do. I tried the Zagg, but unfortunately mine fell apart. Ymmv.

Studor13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple wireless keyboard is very good.

For anything longer than a few lines I use it.

Sometimes, I even use it with my iPod touch.

BTW, I used the screen keyboard for this post and I made multiple mistakes on every line due to the size and layout.

Remember also that the Bluetooth KB has arrow keys, which can be a big deal.

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using a Kensington Bluetooth KB/case combo. It works quite well and the battery lasts a long time. The price has come down on these for iPad 1's since the iPad 2 has arrived.

Reaction score
I'd suggest use it without an external one for about a week unless you get so frustrated you can't wait, then decide. It's really not as horrid as many make it out to be.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rishi85 said:

Its just like any new device. It takes some getting used to. I wouldn't dare try to type papers or reports but just surfing and browsing, the horizontal keyboard is perfect.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a folding keyboard case that I like a lot. It's very portable and sturdy. I'm used to touch typing and have a heavy hand so the onscreen keyboard hurts my fingers after awhile.

thegreatone3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you haven't already seen, The New York Times is offering a free Zaggmate keyboard for iPad and iPad2 if you order 12 weeks of the NYT all digital subscription. Very tempting!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts