What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i go for a jailbreak iPad3 with iOS 5.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My jailbroken iPad got messed up due to improper handling and now mail , safari and Cydia not working, though these icons are very much there on my home screen. I have tried reboots, restore and much more but nothing worked out for me, just keeps an apple logo on my home screen and it disappears only when the battery is drained. I put the device on charging and it come s back to life. With this condition, would it be advisable to go ahead for a jailbreak and see if me dead icons become alive. Please suggest. Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have saved SHSH Blobs for 5.1.1 for your iPad3, I would strongly suggest you re-restore using our tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...5-x-ipad2-ipad3-using-redsn0w-shsh-blobs.html. You can then easily re-jailbreak using redsn0w once the process is complete. All the necessary details are contained in the guide.

If you don't have blobs already saved on Cydia of locally via TinyUmbrella, it is too late to get them now. In that situation, you are pretty much out of luck. You won't be able to re-jailbreak. If you have OpenSSH installed and it is still working you can use Putty, iSSH, or a similar tool to get a command line and try to reinstall Cydia that way. But if most things are not working in your current configuration, then I'm pretty sure SSH won't be working either.

Your only other option will be to restore to 6.0.1 and wait for a new jailbreak to be released. This could be a very long time :(

Our tutorial here will help with that - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Good luck!

OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"If you don't have blobs already saved on Cydia of locally via TinyUmbrella, it is too late to get them now. In that situation, you are pretty much out of luck. You won't be able to re-jailbreak. If you have OpenSSH installed and it is still working you can use Putty, iSSH, or a similar tool to get a command line and try to reinstall Cydia that way. But if most things are not working in your current configuration, then I'm pretty sure SSH won't be working either."

I had never saved them the way you are telling here but heard that blobs get saved in Cydia of their own, if I am right then don't you think there is anyway so that TU retrieves them of its own somehowh.
Secondly you have used few new terms here, Open SSH, Putty, iSSH......would you be little kind in telling me what they are, or just guide me how to check whether SSH is working or not as you seem to be just guessing here about it. I appreciate your help.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first guide I pointed you to will retrieve your blobs from Cydia automatically IF you have them. You can also get them manually from Cydia yourself by following this guide - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

Reading this guide will tell you about SSH - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ides/28213-how-use-secure-shell-ssh-ipad.html

There is a real wealth of information in our stickies, tutorials and of course our search tools help too! A little research and time spend reading goes a long way ;)

Since you don't appear to know what SSH is, then it is certain that you won't have it installed. Furthermore, if Cydia is broken, your jailbreak is broken, and therefore, even if you did have OpenSSH installed it would be broken IMHO.

Your best bet is to follow the first guide in this reply. If 5.1.1 blobs appear in the list (downloaded from Cydia), then you are good to progress with the first tutorial I posted earlier. If not, you have no other options but to use the second guide I originally pointed you to, and restore 6.0.1 without the possibility of a jailbreak for a while :(

Last edited:
OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I followed the first guide as you said, and could find the following two lines in the saved blobs column of TinyUmbrella General tab screen,

iPad33GSM5.1.1(9B206)
iPad33GSM6.0.1(10A523)

Am I done with retrieving the SHSH blobs and can proceed further, please suggest.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you have 5.1.1. Blobs, so follow my very first suggestion.

Good luck.

OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Must say you made my day, you been really helpful. Now I have downloaded latest redsnow version but bit confused about the respective iOS link for my iPad. Would you please share with me the link which applies to my iPad. I have 16 GB WiFi / 4G device with iOS 5.1.1 version. Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPads have two different radios to use with cellular data: GSM and CDMA. AT&T sells the GSM version while Verizon sells the CDMA version.

So, pick the firmware link for the version of iPad you have - an AT&T one (GSM) or a Verizon one (CDMA).

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like I am downloading the correct one,ie GSM (AT&T). Thanks

OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got a quick question in mind, in case you don't have your blobs saved anywhere, while retrieving with TU...one will find nothing in the saved blobs column under the general tab of TU OR there may appear your device iOS version or something of the sort. Actually I just want to be sure what I have got and mentioned above are my blobs !! Pls confirm. Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The things that appear in the box, which you listed above, are your blobs. TU doesn't show anything else other than blobs in that box.
Rest assured, you have them if they are listed there. :D

OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the help. I have downloaded redsnow and iOS 5.1.1 GSM version. Will give it a final go tomorrow, inshAllah. Pray things go my way. Will update you after the task is over. Have a good day.

OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Few questions before I proceed:

1. I need to click right and select " run as administrator" on the red snow icon that rests on my desktop.
2. My iOS 5.1.1 firmware after I downloaded is in the form of an icon. I don't need to do anything with it except while restoring with reds now, just select it and click the open box, that's all.
3. How much time does it take usually fora complete restore.

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, yes and it all depends. :)

But, the time it takes to work depends entirely on each individual's set up. It won't be hours (well, shouldn't be!) - but that's as close as we can get.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
H

Hasny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please Help,

I am stuck at selecting the firmware file to restore,...I had downloaded firmware on D drive of my windows 7 laptop. While selecting when I select that iOS firmware and click open, message appears that IPSW is not located....(different words but means the same). Please ,help me how I can extract the desired IPSW from the firmware icon in my D drive. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts