1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Should i go for a jailbreak iPad3 with iOS 5.1.1

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by Hasny, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My jailbroken iPad got messed up due to improper handling and now mail , safari and Cydia not working, though these icons are very much there on my home screen. I have tried reboots, restore and much more but nothing worked out for me, just keeps an apple logo on my home screen and it disappears only when the battery is drained. I put the device on charging and it come s back to life. With this condition, would it be advisable to go ahead for a jailbreak and see if me dead icons become alive. Please suggest. Thanks
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    If you have saved SHSH Blobs for 5.1.1 for your iPad3, I would strongly suggest you re-restore using our tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...5-x-ipad2-ipad3-using-redsn0w-shsh-blobs.html. You can then easily re-jailbreak using redsn0w once the process is complete. All the necessary details are contained in the guide.

If you don't have blobs already saved on Cydia of locally via TinyUmbrella, it is too late to get them now. In that situation, you are pretty much out of luck. You won't be able to re-jailbreak. If you have OpenSSH installed and it is still working you can use Putty, iSSH, or a similar tool to get a command line and try to reinstall Cydia that way. But if most things are not working in your current configuration, then I'm pretty sure SSH won't be working either.

Your only other option will be to restore to 6.0.1 and wait for a new jailbreak to be released. This could be a very long time :(

Our tutorial here will help with that - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Good luck!
  3. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "If you don't have blobs already saved on Cydia of locally via TinyUmbrella, it is too late to get them now. In that situation, you are pretty much out of luck. You won't be able to re-jailbreak. If you have OpenSSH installed and it is still working you can use Putty, iSSH, or a similar tool to get a command line and try to reinstall Cydia that way. But if most things are not working in your current configuration, then I'm pretty sure SSH won't be working either."

I had never saved them the way you are telling here but heard that blobs get saved in Cydia of their own, if I am right then don't you think there is anyway so that TU retrieves them of its own somehowh.
    Secondly you have used few new terms here, Open SSH, Putty, iSSH......would you be little kind in telling me what they are, or just guide me how to check whether SSH is working or not as you seem to be just guessing here about it. I appreciate your help.
  4. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    The first guide I pointed you to will retrieve your blobs from Cydia automatically IF you have them. You can also get them manually from Cydia yourself by following this guide - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

Reading this guide will tell you about SSH - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ides/28213-how-use-secure-shell-ssh-ipad.html

There is a real wealth of information in our stickies, tutorials and of course our search tools help too! A little research and time spend reading goes a long way ;)

Since you don't appear to know what SSH is, then it is certain that you won't have it installed. Furthermore, if Cydia is broken, your jailbreak is broken, and therefore, even if you did have OpenSSH installed it would be broken IMHO.

Your best bet is to follow the first guide in this reply. If 5.1.1 blobs appear in the list (downloaded from Cydia), then you are good to progress with the first tutorial I posted earlier. If not, you have no other options but to use the second guide I originally pointed you to, and restore 6.0.1 without the possibility of a jailbreak for a while :(
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  5. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I followed the first guide as you said, and could find the following two lines in the saved blobs column of TinyUmbrella General tab screen,

iPad33GSM5.1.1(9B206)
    iPad33GSM6.0.1(10A523)

Am I done with retrieving the SHSH blobs and can proceed further, please suggest.
  6. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    So you have 5.1.1. Blobs, so follow my very first suggestion.

Good luck.
  7. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Must say you made my day, you been really helpful. Now I have downloaded latest redsnow version but bit confused about the respective iOS link for my iPad. Would you please share with me the link which applies to my iPad. I have 16 GB WiFi / 4G device with iOS 5.1.1 version. Thanks
  8. Mickey330

Mickey330 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,666 / 0
    The iPads have two different radios to use with cellular data: GSM and CDMA. AT&T sells the GSM version while Verizon sells the CDMA version.

So, pick the firmware link for the version of iPad you have - an AT&T one (GSM) or a Verizon one (CDMA).

Hope that helps.

Marilyn
  9. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks like I am downloading the correct one,ie GSM (AT&T). Thanks
  10. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got a quick question in mind, in case you don't have your blobs saved anywhere, while retrieving with TU...one will find nothing in the saved blobs column under the general tab of TU OR there may appear your device iOS version or something of the sort. Actually I just want to be sure what I have got and mentioned above are my blobs !! Pls confirm. Thanks
  11. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    The things that appear in the box, which you listed above, are your blobs. TU doesn't show anything else other than blobs in that box.
    Rest assured, you have them if they are listed there. :D
  12. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great, thanks for the help. I have downloaded redsnow and iOS 5.1.1 GSM version. Will give it a final go tomorrow, inshAllah. Pray things go my way. Will update you after the task is over. Have a good day.
  13. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Few questions before I proceed:

1. I need to click right and select " run as administrator" on the red snow icon that rests on my desktop.
    2. My iOS 5.1.1 firmware after I downloaded is in the form of an icon. I don't need to do anything with it except while restoring with reds now, just select it and click the open box, that's all.
    3. How much time does it take usually fora complete restore.

Thanks
  14. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,666 / 0
    Yes, yes and it all depends. :)

But, the time it takes to work depends entirely on each individual's set up. It won't be hours (well, shouldn't be!) - but that's as close as we can get.

Good luck.

Marilyn
  15. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Please Help,

I am stuck at selecting the firmware file to restore,...I had downloaded firmware on D drive of my windows 7 laptop. While selecting when I select that iOS firmware and click open, message appears that IPSW is not located....(different words but means the same). Please ,help me how I can extract the desired IPSW from the firmware icon in my D drive. Thanks
  16. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,666 / 0
    What browser did you use to download the IPSW file? If you used Internet Explorer, then that's the trouble. Use another browser like Firefox or Chrome. Internet Explorer tries to make the file a .zip file - when it should be a file that ends in .ipsw.

Then, when you get to that step, you want to make sure it's the .ipsw file you select (the whole file).

See if that helps?

Marilyn
  17. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes I did it with Internet explorer but the icon that appeared is not a zip file. Anyhow, I will do it through chrome now. And what about saving it on D drive, does that make any difference, I did it because it's a 1 GB file and I didnt have enough space on my C drive. Because I have learnt from other sources that this file (IPSW) resides in C drive.
  18. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    Internet Explorer will have renamed the file to .zip. You likely have Windows Explorer configured to hide file extensions from view which is why you do not see it.

The file can reside on any drive (I have all mine on an external drive). Wherever you read that the the file must be on C: is mistaken.

Good luck with the download.
  19. Hasny

Hasny iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am not out of the woods yet, downloaded iOS 5.1.1 firmware again through Firefox on C Drive. This time it is residing in Administrator / Downloads. But once I follow the path staring from Computer / Users / ...........Apple Computer .....iTunes / iPad Software Updates....I can't find the much needed IPSW there and it is empty. I have gone through a lot of stuff on the Internet and learnt that there are a lot of reasons why we can't locate IPSW file. Mainly because
    1. It might be hidden and needs to be revealed.
    2. It might be downloaded as a zip and needs to be converted into IPSW.
    3. It might be kinda a box type icon, as is in my case and sometimes just by renaming it as ISPW, it is recognized by Redsnow.
    Must say its an extremely informative and helpful forum and experts are putting a lot to settle our issues but a little disappointed as I could hardly find any comprehensive info on the above subject. I strongly feel that there must be a tutorial / guide on the above issue as i have noticed a lot of guys facing the same problem being unable to locate the IPSW file. Would be grateful if experts could share info in this regards. I would also like to add that while responding any querry, experts should ensure that their reply is comprehensive and would easily be understood by the individual whose technical know how is much much lower that from the ones from whom he is asking. Thanks
  20. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,666 / 0
    I am sorry you are having issues in locating the IPSW file. However, downloading a file (and where it is put/named) is a function of each individual's computer and browser. No tutorial can possibly be written to cover every possible combination/set-up of personal computers and individual knowledge.

What we can do is help you keep chipping away at this. But, since it's now a computer issue, not an iPad issue, know that doing this via print is going to become a little frustrating for you. So, hang in there and we'll get this sorted. Or, if you can, ask a live person in your area to help you with the download? May be easier than us trying to tell you over the Internet...?

On your specific download question - have you tried a search of your computer for the .ipsw extension? You can search the whole comput and, tho it will take a while, it'll find it.

If you open your C: drive folder (click Start, select Computer), do you get a Windows Explorer window? On my Windows 7 PC, when the window opens, I get a list on the left side. One of the items in that list is my "Downloads" folder. If you get the folder with the list - is that IPSW file there?

Or, you can download, once again, the IPSW file and this time, put it on your Desktop of your laptop. This way, you can guarantee that you know where it has been put.

Try these suggestions to find/get the IPSW file. Again, I'm trying generic questions because everyone's computer set-up is different. Hopefully, this'll get you close to that file.

Keep us posted?

Marilyn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.