What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I get the AT&T or Verizon iPad 2?

GUSHandGO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no activation fee and no monthly contract required by either ATT or Verizon. I spoke with two different reps at Apple today and they confirmed this. The trick is to sign up for your 3G access thru the IPAD2. You buy a package only when you need it. See Apple - iPad - Two great ways to stay connected. which does not specity the new IPAD but an Apple rep confirmed that applies to the IPAD2 .

Now I have to choose ATT or Verizon.

I wouldn't be so sure. This is what I asked @VZWSupport on Twitter:

Me: @VZWSupport If I get iPad 2 & use 3G infrequently, say 2-3 times a year, several months apart, will I be charged activation fee each time?

The response (today at 1:42 p.m. PST... so about 13 minutes ago):
"More information regarding the activation fee for the iPad 2 will be available upon launch. *JB" (I assume the "*JB" portion is the initials of a customer service rep).

I asked them why they just can't be upfront with this, like AT&T. It's pretty shady. I haven't heard back yet. :(

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That has to be the dumbest response I've heard in a long time. Do they not realize we have to choose a carrier when we buy one? It's not like these things are bi-carrier LOL.

OP
N

NyCrAzY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know right? Quick question, will the Apple Store sell both carriers?

GUSHandGO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I generally like Verizon because of their great coverage.

But, I will literally only use 3G once in a while... like, when I'm on a road trip. I'll just go with AT&T if Verizon can't give a straight answer... because in their silence, they're basically saying, "Umm... yeah. There's gonna be a fee everytime you want to re-start your 3G coverage."

At least with AT&T, we know it's truly "pay-as-you-go."

The sad thing: I've seen SEVERAL Twitter users who did not ask quite what they wanted to know... and they took Verizon's veiled responses as fact.

One such instance:

genekend: @VZWSupport when will there be official information on the activation fees for ipad 2. Friday is close and I want answer before I buy one.

VZWSupport: @genekend Offering prepaid month-to-month 3G service opts paid w/credit or debit card. If u select one of these opts, no activation fee. *JB

genekend: @VZWSupport information on iPad activation fee was very helpful. Will be buying Verizon 3G iPad 2 tomorrow.

Notice that they're telling him that IF he signs up for a RECURRING PLAN, there's no activation fee. No mention for the person who just wants 3G once in a while. I'm not sure that's the answer he was looking for... which is why I asked it the way I did (I'm a former newspaper editor... words are my specialty.).

I guess we'll see how this plays out tomorrow... but what worries me is that I don't want to be looking up stuff while I'm trying to get the iPad 2 INTO MY CART on store.apple.com at 1 a.m. PST!! :confused:

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure they will.....but if Verizon doesn't clean up their act, they might have a lot of their iPads left over! I really want to go with Verizon, but they're making it very difficult.

GUSHandGO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just saw this here:

"Even as people stand in line for tomorrow’s release of the iPad 2, conflicting reports from several Verizon stores indicated that Verizon would be charging $ 35.00 to activate their no-contract, monthly data plans. ‘Those reports are not correct… there is no activation charge for iPad 2 data plans’, Audrey Lundy, a Verizon spokesperson assured."

I'm completely lost at this point. Until someone at Verizon says, "Look... you can use the 3G whenever you want. If you need it three months out of the year, no problem. Pay-as-you-go, no activation fees... ever. Period."

Instead, they never really answer the question. Blargh. :(

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do you want an ipad if you don't want the internet on-the-go?

+1

The whole idea of the iPad is communication on the go.

For me personally, I'm going to use my iPad to run GPS and stream satelite radio in my car so 3G is a must.

...brings up a good question though... I'm sure wifi models outsell 3G models because of the price advantage but I'd be curious to see just how much more they sell than 3G models.

As for me... GPS and 3G are a must.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do you want an ipad if you don't want the internet on-the-go?

+1

The whole idea of the iPad is communication on the go.

Disagree. That's just one possible use.

For me it's a surf the net on the couch and e-reading gadget primarily.

If I wanted communication on the go device I'd get a smartphone. An iPad is too big to lug around everywhere since I don't carry my briefcase or a back pack anywhere other than back and forth to work and when traveling.

Not that there's anything wrong with using it as a communication on the go device, that's clearly one major use of it. Just disagree that that has to be the main idea. The Wifi only version is out there for those like me who'll primarily use it at home or in the office where wifi is available.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I didn't realize that these differences existed. I bought my 16G wifi (wife's) from VZW, and then I bought my 32G 3G (mine) from AT&T. I guess I just "got lucky." I had to go with AT&T's 2GB plan because (they are no dummies) 250MB a month did not hack it.

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ventured out this morning to visit our Verizon store. For some reason I thought they'd have some answers about their plan today. Foolish me. I actually spoke to the Apple person there.....not only don't they know anything about the activation fee, they don't even know if they'll have any iPad2s this afternoon!!!!

So, next stop was Best Buy. Spoke to the Apple person. He didn't know anything about the Verizon plan, but he tried to find out. One place he checked mentioned the activation fee, another didn't.

What is Verizon thinking? Or maybe the better question would be is anyone there thinking?

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Considering I just ended up buying a 3G with Verizon (only wanted wi-fi) I sure hope there is no activation fee. Not sure when I will actually use the 3g, I guess I'll find out eventually.

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, let me just say, as someone who now has the verizon version, that there was no activation fee assessed when I activated the 3G service on the iPad2.

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I checked the Verizon site around 5:30, and they finally updated. No activation fees. Why they couldn't have done it earlier I don't understand. Guess those that ordered online just had to risk it. Poor policy.

And why the big secrecy about how many of what kind...or even if they were going to have them at all? I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can find. I won't buy unless someone has what I want. If I can't get it tomorrow I'll be disappointed, but hey, I'll get over it!

Most reactions

Latest posts