What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I buy an ipad? pros/cons

runeleather

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are the pros/cons to owning an ipad (versus a small laptop)? I'm considering buying some type of laptop for school use. Thanks!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are going to need a computer to use an iPad. If you do not have one, you will need at least a desktop no matter how you look at it. On the bright side, a original iPad can be had from AT&T for a decent savings. Enough that you might be able to get both.

OP
R

runeleather

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have a computer... I have an old laptop that I want to replace as well as a desktop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swede1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
runeleather said:
What are the pros/cons to owning an ipad (versus a small laptop)? I'm considering buying some type of laptop for school use. Thanks!

The pros as I see it is the following,, ease of use! A laptop you have to wait until u can use it after you turn it on, it gets " heavy" after a while it gets pretty warm if yo have it on your lap, it's hard to get " comfortable " with a laptop,, especially if yo are like me,, I like to lay down in the sofa in front of the tv,,:),, with the iPad it's more like picking up a book or a magazine,, it's instant on,,doesn't get warm and it's just very convenient,,:)

CarissaGronski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, nobody can describe the iPad experience. Which is why so many people keep saying it's "magical". Literally a completely different experience from anything else. My best recommendation is getting close with someone else who had an iPad and fooling around with it. Ruhr now, I have a MacBook, a net book, and a 1st generation iPad. iPad is, by far, a ridiculously easy experience compared to any kind of laptop use. Especially at school. Carrying it around, whipping it out to look something up real quick or get a quick look at the calendar. And professors (mine anyway) are far less annoyed because you aren't "hiding" behind a laptop.

Your choice, it's important to know that you can make it work with iPad before buying. And DEFINITELY make sure you go to all the app forums and get the best apps for your money, especially for school.

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A big pro for me rather than a laptop or net book is all the apps that are available.
And there are so many helpful and entertaining free apps.
Also the battery life is amazing.
I only use my MacBook for editing and designing these days since I got my iPad

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pluses:

Ease of use. I can use the iPad lying in bed, just as easily as I can read a book. I can travel with it very easily as well.

The battery. Some laptops match it, but most don't. This is quite a plus in my opinion.

The screen - it's so much better than that of most computers. This again is crucial if you plan to read many books or watch many movies.

The apps - so many, and most of them are free or nearly so.

The minuses

Some videos and other things are inaccessible because they require Flash.

It isn't ideal forvword processing, though some apps (Pages) make it okay for basic word processing.

No USB.

For my needs and wants, the pluses greatly outweigh the minuses. Moreover, I am using the iPad 1, the new version is even lighter and slimmer.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, nobody can describe the iPad experience. Which is why so many people keep saying it's "magical". Literally a completely different experience from anything else. My best recommendation is getting close with someone else who had an iPad and fooling around with it. Ruhr now, I have a MacBook, a net book, and a 1st generation iPad. iPad is, by far, a ridiculously easy experience compared to any kind of laptop use. Especially at school. Carrying it around, whipping it out to look something up real quick or get a quick look at the calendar. And professors (mine anyway) are far less annoyed because you aren't "hiding" behind a laptop.

Your choice, it's important to know that you can make it work with iPad before buying. And DEFINITELY make sure you go to all the app forums and get the best apps for your money, especially for school.

There are some really great descriptions of the iPad 'experience' in this thread - many thanks. Some of you guys should work for Apple PR!!

Tim
Scotland

S65AMG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pros: portable and idiot proof, longer battery life than most if not all netbook
Cons: unless you're in a 3G or wifi deadzone, other than that I can't really think of anything.

If you're able to afford then get both a MacBook air 11" and an iPad 3G.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
No fan sucking precious battery life.
If you NEED to use your portable for more than 5 hours a day and being tied to a cord is inconvenient at best the Ipad wins no shots fired.
Weight is another issue and physical keyboards are readily available for an Ipad if a virtual and you can't play nice together. I've got a Zagg mate,a cover/keyboard/stand combo so swag on an Ipad is another perk.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1300801612231.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1300801612231.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 266

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are a lot of threads on these forums about using iPads in education. Do check them out, especially those on note taking.

While some computerlike actions may not seem obvious there is usually a workaround, so do ask questions as someone here will know the answer.

celinedion1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my ipad, before I had one I didn't see what the big deal was about it. It makes every day tasks in life a lot faster. I'm a college student so I can also put books on it as well. For traveling I can take it with me and have some fun with it (playing games etc). Now that I have an ipad I cant imagine being without one. Using an ipad truely is a great experience. The ipad has become a part of my everyday life similar to my cell phone. I will say though that they can be costly. Overall despite the price I have no regrets, I love it.

sTechnical

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah the ipad is just like a bigger version of an iPod touch but it’s sooo cool! And seriously why would anyone wanna make calls or take pictures on it when it’s big? It would look stupid. Although it sucks that you can’t watch flash videos I would use it
for other things.. I have a laptop but it’s too big to carry around all the time and I have an iPhone and I love it but sometimes I wish it was bigger for my apps..
hope u too feel so..
thanks.....

Swede1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sTechnical said:
Yeah the ipad is just like a bigger version of an iPod touch but itÂ’s sooo cool! And seriously why would anyone wanna make calls or take pictures on it when itÂ’s big? It would look stupid. Although it sucks that you canÂ’t watch flash videos I would use it
for other things.. I have a laptop but itÂ’s too big to carry around all the time and I have an iPhone and I love it but sometimes I wish it was bigger for my apps..
hope u too feel so..
thanks.....

The not watching flash wasn't a deal breaker for me, and if there is a webpage that uses flash that I want to see I use Skyfire, not as convenient maybe but it still works.

Most reactions

Latest posts