What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I buy a logitech fibreskin keyboard case or upgrade to a RT surface ?

bloggeraldwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hello bloggeraldwin, welcome to our forum. There is a lot of debate regarding using the iPad as a replacement to your laptop. I have had this iPad since it became available from Apple. I use it for everything I need to do on a personal level. But if I had to rely on it for work, for producing something, it is almost there but not quite.

For example, I do a lot of photography. The iPad is a perfect companion for viewing these on the job photos. But when I get back to the studio, I have to finish my work on a laptop. I have to produce a lot of spreadsheets and reports for my day job. I also review documents from other members of my work team. We all use our iPads to review each other's work, but the final product gets edited on a laptop running MS Office or Excel.

Your experience will be different. Although I do not edit or produce blogs, an iPad with an external keyboard might work. And for that matter the Surface RT might also work. In either case, I would find the small screen factor of either device to be too small.

Perhaps other members can weigh in?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Matt. If I had to do without either a tablet or a laptop, the tablet would go.

I would never consider having data in only one place, so I view the tablet as an extension of my computer system, not a replacement for it.

Whether the Surface can be seen as an upgrade to an iPad is another question.

Fn1889m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried to use the iPad as a laptop, and it is almost there. (I think that phrase, "Almost there", should be copyright by Apple.)
I have tried several keyboards, and the only good advice I have is get the one with the largest keys you can find. I ended up trashing (donating) the logitech keyboards, and ended up with the Apple bt keyboard. The keys are just a little larger. Size matters when it comes to keys.

Btw, it is Dropbox or equivalent that makes the iPad work as a laptop. Flashdrive functionality would be a big step forward.

Vichon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I agree with the posters here, having several iPads in the family, it is "almost" a replacement. If you need simple productivity apps, easy mobility, and a media consumption primary use, then it will do it. If you need advanced or specific programs, then maybe not. I have used several Keyboards and currently like the Verbatim folding bluetooth keyboard, but find I often don't even bother to take it out.

One item to consider, you mention the RT version - look carefully! The Windows camp here at my office are big fans, but not of the RT, only the Pro. The RT is limited in what it is compatible with and should be considered Windows Lite. If you really need close to laptop compatibility, look at the Pro. Several folks here bought and dumped RT's when they came out - they all claimed it wouldn't do the things they needed and were very frustrated. The Pro owners seem quite happy.

Just some thoughts - I recommend iPads, but to each their own.

Most reactions

Latest posts