What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Apple Release Older IPads in Kit form ?

Should Apple Release IPads in Kit form ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dunno

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simokosim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just needed to hear some feedback pros and cons on the notion ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple will never do anything like this as they would have no control over the assembly process and its quality, or lack of it. Apple has never sold any of its computers in kit form. The older desktops and laptops had user replaceable components, but that's as close as they've come.

The other main reason it won't happen is that such a program would require Apple to have suppliers start production of parts for those iPads beyond the quantities required for their own and authorized repair centres. Apple officially sells parts only to its authorized repair centres.

OP
S

Simokosim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They could manufacture the kits themselves - kits don't require repair centres just replacement parts. Personally I think Apple will not survive in the market place if it doesn't open up to the dev community not just in app dev but hardware to.

They are going against the market look at the crappy keyboard that they supply with the IPad Pro others like Clam Case or Zagg make better ones still holding onto MacBook sales I guess.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no tablet manufacturer that supplies their tablets in kit form so you can't say Apple is going against the market by not supplying iPads in kit form.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They could manufacture the kits themselves - kits don't require repair centres just replacement parts. Personally I think Apple will not survive in the market place if it doesn't open up to the dev community not just in app dev but hardware to.

They are going against the market look at the crappy keyboard that they supply with the IPad Pro others like Clam Case or Zagg make better ones still holding onto MacBook sales I guess.
Against the market? You're grasping at straws in an attempt to justify your point.

Can you imagine the amount of support required after people in boatloads assemble the device incorrectly and cause their own problems? Apple would have to recoup that cost somewhere and the easiest way to do that is to raise prices. No thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't think of a single company that's been succesfull because it supplies kits. Even Heathkit, the company that built it's entire company around kits was never more than marginally profitable.

Kits are nice, yes; but profitable, no.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPads in Kit form would have a huge failure rate. It's very easy to put them together in what you think is the right way , but be off by a small margin and have the device fail. Interested in a tablet kit? Check out Adafruit.com and their Raspberry Pi tablet kits,

acidvape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think apple should look into better accessories, they made superior phones and tablets but give them crappy cables start making better cables apple

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
And some cables that are now only third party. I got a really neat usb to female lightning plug cable to charge my Apple Pencil. Yes, I can just plug it in the charge port, but it’s just awkward to me, and I can use my power bank as well as the iPad, or iPad charger to charge the pencil. I still use the genuine wall plug, so a third party cord doesn’t scare me so much. Works perfectly.

Finless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no point unless you are able to write your own programs?

The phyical characteristics of iPads has changed eg 32 bit chip to 64 bit chip.

I recently had a problem with my iPad4 which required a 'factory reset'. Naturally, I hadn’t backed it up nor, because of the problems, was I able to back it up before doing the reset. The iPad now works perfectly well but I've lost all my apps. They either don't exist anymore in the App Store or the current versions won't work with the old and now unsupported iOS. I have a great iPad but hardly any games (relatively) that will now download to it because of the old iOS!

It was .... is most distressing. I had an Adblocker that stopped adverts appearing in games which is not allowed by Apple anymore? I don't like to talk about it :(.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts