What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shortcuts on iPad 4

James Butler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
having updated to iOS 8.1 I am still finding that my shortcuts do not work. It may be to do with the switches in the Setup, but it's not obvious I must say. I have switched off Autocorrect and re-booted the iPad but the problem persists. Has anyone out there had a similar problem? Assistance needed please! James

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean keyboard shortcuts, then yes, I, too, have noticed that the shortcuts are messed up.

Some don't stay deleted after a restart or reset of my iPad. So, I have to go in an edit them again. Then, my changes last until the next restart/reset.

It's annoying and it's a definite bug. Hopefully, it'll get corrected in an iOS update ... soon!

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you edit one of the keyboard shortcuts in settings (just add a space, delete it, and save) then the shortcuts should work again. Until you restart the iPad, anyway. Then it comes back. At least it does on mine.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does this method work so that shortcuts you have deleted oh-so-long-ago (!) are deleted again?

Cause that would be easier than going in and deleting them all, all over again ... and again ... and again ... and again! :)

The sad part is - I never remember that the shortcuts are messed up until I go to use one. Then, my "work flow" is interrupted until I get it sorted. Somewhat (ok, very!) annoying.

The good thing is that I can make the edits on my iPhone and then then auto-magically get updated on my iPad. Saves a bit of hassle...

Marilyn

EDIT: I guess I could change my daily ritual for the iPad (I fully close all the apps and then turn it off just before plugging it in for the night). But....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, the sync issue requires you to delete the old ones individually. It's not too difficult, if a bit tedious. You just have to swipe the shortcut to the left, then tap the Delete button that appears.

I only had this happen once, when I first installed iOS 8. No idea what can be done for those who keep seeing it come back.

As a side note, I sync my shortcuts across all my Apple devices, including the iMac.

approveme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 8.1.1 build 12B435 contains a whole bunch of bug fixes and general performance enhancements aimed at improving the mobile operating system’s stability. You can apply the update over the air by going to Settings > General > Software Update.

Most reactions