Short Term Marriage Contracts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bob Maxey, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    Just listened to a local radio wonk talking about Mexico's plans to enact a law that gives people the option of a short-term marriage contract. The marriage expires after a set amount of time. Two years is what Mexico (apparently) is proposing.

Woo Hoo. Bob wants one of those time limited trials. If it is good enough for trial software and snowmobile rental agreements, it just has to be good enough for marriage. Less grief from software.

So how many here besides Bob thinks this is a good idea?
  2. verwon

verwon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think a 20 year waiting period would work better....sure would've saved me a lot of trouble!

Mistress of Mischief
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,637 / 1
    The Lazarus Long books by Robert Heinlein describe this kind of contract. It also includes pre-agreements to ensure proper care of progeny and how assets are to be handled and split when the contract expires.

Personally, I think two adults who are willing to go into an arraignment with this kind of care and forethought could probably handle the aftermath of a normal marriage if they decided to go separate ways.
  4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Sounds like practice for people who aren't ready for marriage. Why bother?

Also sounds like it'd be a boon for lawyers who'd create a whole niche for unraveling legal ripples in immigration, deaths benefits, asset splitting, inheritance and property rights, etc., which are often tied to marriage.
  5. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    I think the best idea is NEVER get married ha ha

Marriage is like living with someone but a more expensive version!!

;-)
  6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Being married is great, if you're with the right person. My husband and I've been together for more than 20 years. People say marriage takes work, but I've never found that. I think being married should come easily, or it's not a good fit.

As for divorce, if he decided to leave, I'd deal with it and move on. No point acting like a jerk and enriching divorce lawyers. I don't believe in alimony if both people can support themselves.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Legislation always arrives long after it's needed and drafted by those out of touch with reality....

Wonder what the Spanish is for provisional license?
  8. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +325 / 0
    I have been happily married for 21 years. It takes patience, sense of humour and trust to make it work. Loads of ups and downs but if you are with the right one, it's worth it. I'm thinking don't marry if you aren't sure. Lawyers are rich enough already.
  9. TheRambler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    even with the right one, what is the point of being married, it is only a piece of paper at the end of the day. In England they even allow same sex couples to get married, which makes it even more comical!!
    Marriage these days has become a comedy sketch, we read about famous people being married for 3 minutes and getting divorced, its a shame that something that was held so highly in the Christian world is being made into a gimmick!!
  10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    If you don't believe in marriage, there's no point being married.

I see plenty of reasons why marriage is worthwhile, but it's a personal choice for everyone.

For some people, there's a religious component to marriage. But a government-recognized marriage is simply a legal institution, separate from religion. In such cases, we're entitled to the same protections and rights, which is why I and others think there's nothing comical about same-sex marriage; to us, it's simply an equal application of law.

I'm straight and don't believe in religion, but I believe in equality and fair treatment.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    Guys ~ careful tapping into a religion discussion. Those pesky lil rules. :)
  12. TheRambler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    Sorry that's my fault, I think I got carried away tapping those keys LOL

A fantastic reply there Kaykaykay.......but I must admit, with your chosen name on here, others may think differently.....KKK.

I was married......a long time ago, very enjoyable.....for a time.....but hey ho.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  13. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Yes, bad choice of screen names, I recognized too late. There's no KKK in my country, because I'm Chinese, lol. My name is Kay, and Kay and Kaykay were taken, so I just kept adding Kays.
  14. TheRambler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    ha ha, excellent, that sounds like one of the moderators on here. she kept adding numbers till she found one that wasnt taken!
  15. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    I seriously doubt this. Never once did that cross my mind and besides it says KAY. Her name.:thumbs:

16. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +325 / 0
    Nope never saw significance of your name but now you mention it. I believe everyone should be allowed to marry whether straight or gay. Just don't get me talking about forced marriages
  17. scottishwarlord

scottishwarlord iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    My girlfriend say's that I'm afraid of committment....well she's not my girlfriend...more a wife.

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography." General Plumer
  18. punkBarbie

punkBarbie iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is saddening how much marriage has lost its value in modern society. The legal part of it is really a very small matter, u can really do without it. I mean the fundamental part being the couple and the relationship. People need to not be so casual about it.
    Quit makin it legal just so u can have guilt free hanky panky , get rich, gain some sort of notoriety. Those things are psychological and the mind can never understand matters of the heart. That's why love seems so stupid when u think about it. These days there are people in the 20s who have more than one divorces under their belts. Really? Especially women, not every guy who promises you the world will actually fulfill that promise.
  19. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    For me, marriage is personal. It doesn't matter what other people do with theirs, because it doesn't affect mine.

As for the legal aspects of marriage, it's got plenty to do with the care and support of children, inheritance and property rights, rights that include making life-saving (or life-ending) medical decisions and much more. To dismiss all that seems illogical, especially while referring to people who take marriage lightly. Those people, and how they treat marriage, are what's irrelevant.
  20. punkBarbie

punkBarbie iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanx for this clarification. I hadn't even thought about how far the law goes into it. I would love to get married some day soon and to someone who values that promise as well.