What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short Battery Life

luvbugipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my IPAD2 a few days ago concerned my battery only lasts a few hours thought it was supposed to last for ten hours. Is my new IPAD2 defective???

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 review -- Engadget

Engadget's benchtest tells you all you need to know, if you are only getting a couple of hours, then yes, something is wrong! A Google search brings up many benchtest results showing good battery life.

Welcome to the forum - I doubt you are getting the best from your new gadge so go see a Genius. I would post further questions in the forums though if it was me.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my IPAD2 a few days ago concerned my battery only lasts a few hours thought it was supposed to last for ten hours. Is my new IPAD2 defective???
Although the iPad's battery life is certainly amazing (often 9 hours or more), how long it will last depends on a combination of some settings and how it's being used.

The biggest energy glutton is screen brightness. Moving the brightness from 100% to 75% or less can make a very big impact on battery life. Watching movies, GPS and other high-demand CPU activity can take a toll as well. Here's more information that might be helpful:

Optimize Your iPad Battery Settings

You might also try resetting (not restarting) your iPad. That can often smooth things out in a number of areas. (It's not needed on a regular basis mind you, only when things aren't working properly).
  • Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:
iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

FWIW I can usually get 7 to 9 hours or more on my iPad in mixed daily use. My brightness level is usually set at about 60% which works very well for me inside....higher outside of course.

That said, if you've charged your iPad to 100% and it only lasts a few hours doing anything, then yes, that's not normal and you should contact Apple, either by visiting a local Apple store or...

Apple - Support - iPad - Contact Support

Apple - Support - Contact Support

Contacting Apple for support and service

BTW, I'm going to give your question its own thread so that others can respond/benefit.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See, when I put my iPad's brightness to anything higher than 33%, the battery drains like crazy. But if I keep it that low, it lasts the normal 9-10 hours. :(

Most reactions