What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheet music

Kazlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any time. It's in my top 5 favorite apps so if you need more info send me a message :)

Kazlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
As was already mentioned, simple PDF readers do the job, but at least for me they don't work when playing piano, for reasons what they are missing, see below:

Here are a few apps I have used for displaying sheet music :
-Medley. It has the single best page-turn off any PDF reader. Basically what is does is, when you tap to switch page, it does not switch instantly, but instead scrolls the next page starting from the top. So you can still finish playing on the last page while seeing the upcoming notes. You can set it, so that a single touch on the left half turns left and a single tap on the right half turns right. My personal favorite for displaying sheet music.

-forScore. Widely used for it's additional features and ease of PDF import, it has an inbuilt browser to import any notes directly from a website. However, it has a simple page turn, I.e. the whole page swaps instantaneously.

-SymphonyPro. More of a sheet music composing app, but it also displays sheet music and has MIDI support, so it can play the notes. It also highlights the notes it currently plays, so for learning a new piece this is really helpful. Downside: Page-turn via swipe, and also instant page turn. The other thing to consider is, that it requires the notes to be available in MIDI format and currently the only import method is via entering a URL which often does not work. So while this in theory is a great app for learning new music, it is not polished, yet. A update was supposed to be released a few days ago, so it will be here anytime soon and allow for better importing.

There is also a setting in ForScore for a "tear-away" page turn option. It changes the top half but not the bottom half, effectively giving you the same advantage as medley.

With SymphonyPro, if I remember correctly, you can't import PDFs so it's not as useful as I would prefer. You have to buy sheet music from online sheet music vendors with imbedded MIDI for it to be able to play it back or enter the notes manually. That said, it's still one of my favorite apps for composition. I've recently started to dabble in composition and it's nice to not have to be in front of my piano to hear it (thus write it down). I can be sitting on the bus or even in the park and enter the notes when I think of a melody rather than trying to remember it later (which I can never do :) )

toughguy4u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically what is does is, when you tap to switch page, it does not switch instantly, but instead scrolls the next page starting from the top. So you can still finish playing on the last page while seeing the upcoming notes.

OP
L

Lizard king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I play from chord charts as I refuse to read music ... So for score is perfect for me....I used my iPod at practice last night & it was nice...once I master the page change thing

xoxtinysingerxox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm considering picking up the ipad 2 this weekend (if i can find one) and I really would like to import ALL my sheet music. What program can store scores as opposed to 300 separate pdf sheets?

Reaction score
xoxtinysingerxox said:
I'm considering picking up the ipad 2 this weekend (if i can find one) and I really would like to import ALL my sheet music. What program can store scores as opposed to 300 separate pdf sheets?

It depends, do you have your sheet music in 300 separate PDF files? If so, you will have 300 separate PDF files on your iPad as well. If you have multiple scores within a PDF file, you could have considerably less PDF files.

For example, I have 60 Hanon exercises, but split into 3 PDF files, so each PDF contains 20 excercises.

In what form do you have your sheet music saved at the moment?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
In what form do you have your sheet music saved at the moment?

I think it's PDF, from the description. I am using forScore right now, and it has about 600 orchestral and piano scores which I've uploaded in PDF format.

Kazlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. Are you looking for a program that will handle all music formats or do you have each page of your music as a separate file and want the program to recognize them all as the same file?

xoxtinysingerxox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All my files are PDFs. But I have some scores that are 300 pages long. I'm just wondering if it would recognize it as one file 300 pages long, or 300 diff pages. I have NO knowledge of any of the music programs for the ipad sorry!

Kazlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's totally ok. If the 300 page score is all 1 file, it will recognize it as 1 file. If each page is a separate file, it will see each page as a song. If it is a number of songs, you may want to use a free desktop program called PDF Sam (split and merge) to separate it into the separate songs. That way if you want to use the set list feature, you can include only the songs you want in the list. If each page is a separate file, you can use the same program to merge the pages into songs. That way you don't have to select each page when making sets

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xoxtinysingerxox said:
All my files are PDFs. But I have some scores that are 300 pages long. I'm just wondering if it would recognize it as one file 300 pages long, or 300 diff pages. I have NO knowledge of any of the music programs for the ipad sorry!

If all 300 pages are in the one PDF, then it will be one file with 300 pages.

For example, I have Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade" symphonic suite as an orchestral score PDF about 250+ pages long, and forScore will load the entire work as a single file (as opposed to, for example, 4 PDFs for each of the movements.)

Most reactions

Latest posts