What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing with iPhone

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has something changed? For a couple of years I have used my iPad for sending ordinary sms (when shared with my iPhone in the same room, simply because the keyboard is larger and easier to use). The contact details always appeared in Green as opposed to an iMessage contact appearing in Blue.
For the last 2 days non-iMessage contacts are appearing in Red and I am unable to send an sms!
Can this be something to do with the internet and the adverse weather lately or has Apple closed the shop even further...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's still working, I've just tested it.

Either it has to do with your connection/network, or your settings. In Settings - Messages make sure the Apple ID appearing there at the top is your iCloud ID, iMessage should be enbled, and your phone number has to be checkmarked in "Send & Receive".
Make sure your internet is working correctly.

The latest software for iPad 2 and later is 9.2.1. Not updating your device can also have an effect on messages. So update it, in case you haven't yet.

OP
C

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out and report back.

OP
C

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything is as you suggested. I just took a photo with my iPhone and sure enough it arrived on my iPad and this morning there was a guy up a ladder (telecomms) in the street. I don't have a problem with my server - but - the resident speaking to the techie uses a different server than me and my server leases the antenna's of his server, so I am inclined to think now it's a weather related problem and will resolve in time. Some very high winds here just lately.
If it does, I'll post.
Thanks again.

OP
C

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, something has definitely changed! I can no longer send an sms from my iPad to a "non registered iPhone user", when paired with my iPhone. Thanks a lot whoever plulled the plug or threw the switch!
I can send an sms to this horrible alien "non iPhone registered user" from my iPhone but I don't have tooth-picks for fingers so I'll move to Samsung, unless.....?

Most reactions