What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing iBooks question

djphelan01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, I'm new to Apple and IPads.
Is there any way to share iBook purchases with others. Both my wife and I each own an Ipad2 and I was wondering if we can swap books with each other or do I have to just borrow her IPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you both use the same iTunes account you can download the books to each other's devices for free. If you use different iTunes accounts things get sticky. You can try singing in and out of each other's account in the iBook Store, and that may work; but you'll have a heck of a time keeping track of what book was bought with what account.

If you have two accounts, this is what I would do. Pick one account that you both agree to buy all book with. Sign into the iBooks Store on both iPads with that account. As long as you do that you'll be able to see all your books in the Purchased section of the iBooks Store, and download the ones you want on each iPad.

You can sign into the iBooks Store at the bottom of most tabs. There will be a button with your Apple ID. If it's not the Apple ID you want to be purchasing books with, sign out, then sign back in with the right one.

This will only affect the iBook Store. iTunes and the App Store have to be signed into separately; though you might want to consider doing the same thing so you can share apps and music as well.

BTW, the EULA specifically permits sharing Books, Apps, and music between family members; and they would probably be the only ones you'd want to trust your Apple ID to anyway.

catheyhea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If you both use the same iTunes account you can download the books to each other's devices for free. If you use different iTunes accounts things get sticky. You can try singing in and out of each other's account in the iBook Store, and that may work; but you'll have a heck of a time keeping track of what book was bought with what account.

If you have two accounts, this is what I would do. Pick one account that you both agree to buy all book with. Sign into the iBooks Store on both iPads with that account. As long as you do that you'll be able to see all your books in the Purchased section of the iBooks Store, and download the ones you want on each iPad.

You can sign into the iBooks Store at the bottom of most tabs. There will be a button with your Apple ID. If it's not the Apple ID you want to be purchasing books with, sign out, then sign back in with the right one.

This will only affect the iBook Store. iTunes and the App Store have to be signed into separately; though you might want to consider doing the same thing so you can share apps and music as well.

BTW, the EULA specifically permits sharing Books, Apps, and music between family members; and they would probably be the only ones you'd want to trust your Apple ID to anyway.

I have tried doing this and I get a message that says. This device is already associated with an apple I'd If you download past purchases with your apple I'd you cannot auto download or download past purchases with a different apple I'd for 90 days. Does this mean that if I use my daughters account to get her book I will not be able to download anything else for 90 days ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
catheyhea said:
I have tried doing this and I get a message that says. This device is already associated with an apple I'd If you download past purchases with your apple I'd you cannot auto download or download past purchases with a different apple I'd for 90 days. Does this mean that if I use my daughters account to get her book I will not be able to download anything else for 90 days ?

It means that if you switched to your daughters account to download the book you won't be able to switch back to your account for 90 days. At least that's what I'm pretty sure it means. This is mostly to keep people from switching their iCloud accounts back and forth with iTunes Match, bypassing the copyright license limitations.

Did you try to change your entire iCloud account under iCloud settings?

If so, do this instead:

Open iBooks, go to the store, select the first tab, and scroll to the bottom. You should see your Apple ID there. Tap on it and sign out. Tap on it again and sign in with your daughters Apple ID. Now buy the book. When you're done you can sign out and sign back in with your Apple ID.

This should bypass the whole time out on switching iCloud accounts business.

Last edited:

catheyhea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It means that if you switched to your daughters account to download the book you won't be able to switch back to your account for 90 days. At least that's what I'm pretty sure it means. This is mostly to keep people from switching their iCloud accounts back and forth with iTunes Match, bypassing the copyright license limitations.

If so, do this instead:

Open iBooks, go to the store, select the first tab, and scroll to the bottom. You should see your Apple ID there. Tap on it and sign out. Tap on it again and sign in with your daughters Apple ID. Now buy the book. When you're done you can sign out and sign back in with your Apple ID.

I did not mess with iCloud I just changed the accounts through iBooks

catheyhea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

If so, do this instead:

When I click to buy that is when I got the message

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They may have change things. It's the first I've heard of this for one of the iStores.

I don't have multiple accounts to play with, so I can't test it myself.

Ddk9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there are existing books on my iPad and I create another account to share books with, will the books which have been previously downloaded go away when the new account is created?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ddk9 said:
If there are existing books on my iPad and I create another account to share books with, will the books which have been previously downloaded go away when the new account is created?

Your books are permanently associated with the user ID used to purchase or download them, you can't transfer them to another account. If the books in question are paid books, you will have to buy them again under the other account.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score

whatever you purchase will follow you and your idevices and thats the beauty of it:D

Most reactions

Latest posts