What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing apps?

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I own two iPads and want to share only a few of the apps between them, what do I do?

I did a search and found a lot about transferring all apps from, say, an iPad to an iPad2, but none seem to answer my specific question.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do both these iPads share the same iTunes account? Since you can re-download apps at no charge, why not simply download directly to the iPad the apps you want to share?

Tim

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, they are registered to different accounts. One is an iPad2 that I purchased for my grandson, and his dad registered it to a new account.

I have taken over the "IT" management now and would be willing to reregister it in my old account, but I don't want to transfer all my work related apps to his iPad---only the tot apps I have installed for him on my older iPad. I don't mind losing the apps currently on his for they are mostly duplicates of the ones on mine or freebies.

Can do?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, they are registered to different accounts. One is an iPad2 that I purchased for my grandson, and his dad registered it to a new account.

I have taken over the "IT" management now and would be willing to reregister it in my old account, but I don't want to transfer all my work related apps to his iPad---only the tot apps I have installed for him on my older iPad. I don't mind losing the apps currently on his for they are mostly duplicates of the ones on mine or freebies.

Can do?

Sure can!

If you don't mind losing what's on his iPad, just restore the iPad to new and re-register it to your account (via iTunes).

Then, you can go through your apps and "pick and choose" which apps to load up on the iPad. The iPads are managed separately in iTunes (depending on which one is plugged in), so you don't have to transfer the stuff over you don't want to.

And, to keep it even simpler, don't use that other account your grandson's dad started. Then you don't have to keep track of which app is tied to which account. As you are the IT person, now, that should be relatively easy to do...?

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay Marilyn,

Thanks. I will give it a try. I was afraid that I could only restore all of my files this way. If I understand rightly, there will be a transfer files option, rather than a restore. Right?

More later.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, this advice is because you said you didn't mind losing the apps currently on your grandson's iPad...

Just plug his iPad into your iTunes and click the restore button. When prompted, eventually (I forget the whole/complete process, sorry), elect to restore the iPad from new.

This'll make the iPad be as if it came fresh out of the box. Then, you can set it up from the new beginning, only transferring the apps over to it that you wish. You transfer only what you want by going to the iPad's App tab and checking those apps you wish to have on it (and then clicking on the Apply/Sync button in the lower RH).

I'd recommend you choose to not sync apps automatically (that option is under the iTunes Edit>Preferences>Device tab ... check the box) and that you also uncheck the box under the iPad's App tab called "Automatically sync new applications." This way, you won't have to worry about your grown-up stuff getting onto his iPad.

Hope that helped.

Marilyn

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
K! All done, and the transfer process worked without a glitch. Thanks for the help.

Most reactions

Latest posts