What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing Apps for 2 ipads

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DO I just need to log on the new iPad with my App Store account ID and I can load the apps? Or is there something else I need to do?
I just want to share the paid apps nothing else, not contacts, not photos, not email, nothing.
Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - you might need to explain your situation better? I'm assuming that you bought a 'new' iPad and that you are trying to put your previous purchases on your new device - correct? If you are using the same Apple ID w/ your new iPad (or others signed into your account), then you should be able to DL the apps - however, if you are asking whether others w/ a different Apple ID can obtain your apps, then that will not work!

BUT, please explain exactly what you have done regarding upgrading your iPad and what you want to accomplish - Dave :)

OP
Ipad Now

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got my wife one. I just want to pay for the Apps once and have them on both ipads. I want everything else to be separate though. Just shared Apps is all.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got my wife one. I just want to pay for the Apps once and have them on both ipads. I want everything else to be separate though. Just shared Apps is all.

You can keep everything separate - just keep the login for the AppStore the same Apple ID. That's the only thing you have to have the same on the iPads. With the iTunes/AppStore login the same, you can use one account and thus share apps with your wife.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
Ipad Now

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks! I thought that it would work. Is there a limit on how many devices you can have on one Apple ID.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Up to 10 devices and computers can be associated with one Apple ID. (Combined)

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks! I thought that it would work. Is there a limit on how many devices you can have on one Apple ID.
Hi there! I think I got what you want to do. Go to Settings > iCloud, then turn off all those things you don't want on your latest iPad. Then tap on iCloud backup and perform a backup. backs up apps and all things which were selected. Now while setting up the new iPad, select 'restore from backup' method. That should bring a disabled icon for all apps as it was on your older iPad, with the same position for all. Now register your Apple account on the new iPad from Settings > iTunes and App Store. Now go back to home screen and tap the apps one by one and they start installing ALONG WITH THE PREVIOUS DATA WHICH WAS THERE on your older device. This has worked for me and I hope you would be installing the paid apps there also. BTW, I don't think you need to pay for installing the same paid app on different devices under the same Apple ID. What I explained was a complete restore of apps with data, for example if it was a game, you would not like to loose the data. Hope that helps, though it is a bit clumsy because my 'enter' key on my PC doesn't work with both iPFs.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi there! I think I got what you want to do. Go to Settings > iCloud, then turn off all those things you don't want on your latest iPad. Then tap on iCloud backup and perform a backup. backs up apps and all things which were selected. Now while setting up the new iPad, select 'restore from backup' method. That should bring a disabled icon for all apps as it was on your older iPad, with the same position for all. Now register your Apple account on the new iPad from Settings > iTunes and App Store. Now go back to home screen and tap the apps one by one and they start installing ALONG WITH THE PREVIOUS DATA WHICH WAS THERE on your older device. This has worked for me and I hope you would be installing the paid apps there also. BTW, I don't think you need to pay for installing the same paid app on different devices under the same Apple ID. What I explained was a complete restore of apps with data, for example if it was a game, you would not like to loose the data. Hope that helps, though it is a bit clumsy because my 'enter' key on my PC doesn't work with both iPFs.
And to select which apps out of a number of them, go to manage storage from there and a list if all apps will be generated. Select the required apps. :)

OP
Ipad Now

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Whoa! This seems pretty complicated.
What I did was go on my new iPad and use my same App Store ID and go to the purchased section of the App Store and download what I wanted from the apps I had already purchased. It was simple.
Was this the best way to go?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoa! This seems pretty complicated. What I did was go on my new iPad and use my same App Store ID and go to the purchased section of the App Store and download what I wanted from the apps I had already purchased. It was simple. Was this the best way to go?
Yes, it was, imo.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Whoa! This seems pretty complicated.
What I did was go on my new iPad and use my same App Store ID and go to the purchased section of the App Store and download what I wanted from the apps I had already purchased. It was simple.
Was this the best way to go?

Bought my wife an iPad Mini earlier this year - used my Apple ID - did exactly what you have accomplished, i.e. just DL apps that she wanted (like iWork) and she has added more herself - each iPad can be manipulated independently via the same account - Dave :)

OP
Ipad Now

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What if I create a separate user App Store ID on the new iPad. Will the apps that I've already put on there stay or will they all be gone?
Like if I put some on there with my id and some on there with a different id.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What if I create a separate user App Store ID on the new iPad. Will the apps that I've already put on there stay or will they all be gone? Like if I put some on there with my id and some on there with a different id.
They will stay on the iPad. When updated, they'll ask for your password.

Most reactions

Latest posts