What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Share router with Ipad

OP
B

billybobtoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds good!

You will not only be able to use your brother's wifi but places like the library, fast food places (most McDonald's and Subways have free wifi as well as coffee houses, ABC, etc), Barnes and Noble and many many more. I carry my Ipad with me all the time and am sometimes surprised where I find free wifi--like my local and grocery store, car dealer's waiting area, doctors' offices. You'll be fine.

Thanks Diane... But if I wanted to just go to the nearby park and take my Ipad, it probably wouldn't work. I think I was under the impression it worked everywhere, like a cellphone does. Duh.

But it would work if say, I rented a beachhouse, cause then I could buy a router and use it in conjunction with the router in the beachhouse.

Also, how far my brother's router can I be and still pick up the wifi?
Maybe I could be on the porch outside the house and still use it.

Thanks....Bill

It depends on the terrain and/or obstructions. Typically 100 yards/metres in favourable conditions....I sometimes sit on my patio and use the iPad there, though that’s a rare occurrence in Scotland..... :)

Tim
Scotland

Well that sounds reasonable. I will just have to wait and see, although it's pretty flat landscape and suburban, and not too many obstructions that I recall. Thanks!

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you have it now. To use anywhere you need either the Verizon or AT&T 3G version and a data plan or a MYfi device that will allow you to tether it and 4 more devices plus a data plan or like me, a phone that allows tethering along with 4 other devices and a data plan. If you plan to buy the Ipad with 3G then check to see if there is better coverage for the areas you will spend most time in (NY and FL) by one or the other services and check their data plan prices. You will certainly, I would expect, use it a lot more with wifi and reserve using the 3G for those times you don't have wifi access. I've found I rarely have to use tethering since wifi is so availble here but it will depend upon where you use it. My router reaches a nice area on our 20 acres so I can use it up at our pool, out in my studio, etc and then in town it is available so many places. I live in a small city but some other smaller towns will have less wifi I would think.

I've had mine for almost 11 months and now can't imagine not having a tablet. I'm using my laptop today to work on a very large spreadsheet but upload it to Dropbox and view it on my Ipad and main computer. I walked away from the laptop and picked up my Ipad to do everything else LOL.

Diane

OP
B

billybobtoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smartypants!

I think you have it now. To use anywhere you need either the Verizon or AT&T 3G version and a data plan or a MYfi device that will allow you to tether it and 4 more devices plus a data plan or like me, a phone that allows tethering along with 4 other devices and a data plan. If you plan to buy the Ipad with 3G then check to see if there is better coverage for the areas you will spend most time in (NY and FL) by one or the other services and check their data plan prices. You will certainly, I would expect, use it a lot more with wifi and reserve using the 3G for those times you don't have wifi access. I've found I rarely have to use tethering since wifi is so availble here but it will depend upon where you use it. My router reaches a nice area on our 20 acres so I can use it up at our pool, out in my studio, etc and then in town it is available so many places. I live in a small city but some other smaller towns will have less wifi I would think.

I've had mine for almost 11 months and now can't imagine not having a tablet. I'm using my laptop today to work on a very large spreadsheet but upload it to Dropbox and view it on my Ipad and main computer. I walked away from the laptop and picked up my Ipad to do everything else LOL.

Diane

OK Diane. No need to get all superior on me! With your tethering and dropbox references...LOL
I use the computer mainly to look at cat pictures. Joking... Well sorta joking.

True story. My first computer was an emachine, about 8 years ago. I am 64 years old, so didn't grow up with these things like you kids. During my first week of using it, a "blue screen of death" or an "error" page came up. Scared the heck out of me. I yanked the plug out of the wall socket, and left the computer station. I actually thought I had done something illegal. That's how green I was. More sophisticated now. Use it mainly for email, sending photos to family members, and browsing the internet, and news sources.
Can't wait to get my Ipad 3g, with wifi.

One question. Can I plug my Ipad into a power source, like a wall socket, and use it that way?

Thanks for the help! Bill:D

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can plug it in using the charger, and use it at the same time. I use mine so much that I kill the battery every day, so there are plenty of nights that I use it plugged in while charging.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
billybobtoo said:
OK Diane. No need to get all superior on me! With your tethering and dropbox references...LOL

LOL

True story. My first computer was an emachine, about 8 years ago. I am 64 years old, so didn't grow up with these things like you kids. During my first week of using it, a "blue screen of death" or an "error" page came up. Scared the heck out of me. I yanked the plug out of the wall socket, and left the computer station. I actually thought I had done something illegal. That's how green I was. More sophisticated now. Use it mainly for email, sending photos to family members, and browsing the internet, and news sources.

One question. Can I plug my Ipad into a power source, like a wall socket, and use it that way?

I laughed at your story but totally understand it You'll love your Ipad because it is so intuitive and if you have problems you can come back here and someone will help you, but I do have to say I have a few years on you LOL. ( i'm going to blow my cover now) I'm 72 but I have used a computer since the early 90’s (gosh, maybe even the late 80's) for design, photography, our business accounts so am very comfortable with a PC. Apple "stuff" is relatively new to me except for my original Ipods and Touch. Love my Ipad and have to say I have considered moving to Apple for main computer and/or laptop next time. I taught my 85 yr. old mother how to use a computer when she moved to the south and she's able to send email, read her Pittsburgh newspapers, etc at 95 now though she has vision problems. I installed a program that allows her to read with font from 1.5x to 32x. Unfortunately we couldn't up the font size large enough for her to read from an Ipad but she enjoys viewing photos on it when I show her mine.

You can plug it into a power source and use it that way. I'm plugged in right now since I was getting low on battery. You will be advised to run the battery down at least once a month though, esp. to reset the clock.

Be sure and think of all the questions you can think of before you buy, I'm assuming, at an Apple store. They will be really helpful and get you off to a good start.

Diane

Last edited:
OP
B

billybobtoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:)
billybobtoo said:

LOL

I laughed at your story but totally understand it You'll love your Ipad because it is so intuitive and if you have problems you can come back here and someone will help you, but I do have to say I have a few years on you LOL. ( i'm going to blow my cover now) I'm 72 but I have used a computer since the early 90’s (gosh, maybe even the late 80's) for design, photography, our business accounts so am very comfortable with a PC. Apple "stuff" is relatively new to me except for my original Ipods and Touch. Love my Ipad and have to say I have considered moving to Apple for main computer and/or laptop next time. I taught my 85 yr. old mother how to use a computer when she moved to the south and she's able to send email, read her Pittsburgh newspapers, etc at 95 now though she has vision problems. I installed a program that allows her to read with font from 1.5x to 32x. Unfortunately we couldn't up the font size large enough for her to read from an Ipad but she enjoys viewing photos on it when I show her mine.

You can plug it into a power source and use it that way. I'm plugged in right now since I was getting low on battery. You will be advised to run the battery down at least once a month though, esp. to reset the clock.

Be sure and think of all the questions you can think of before you buy, I'm assuming, at an Apple store. They will be really helpful and get you off to a good start.

Diane
:)Thanks Diane. I feel more confident now. And glad I found these forums! Bill

Most reactions