What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Share Actual iPad Mini Screen Using Apps with 30 Others

James85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have a field team of reps that visit retail stores. They are issued an iPad Mini to conduct their reports in the field. We would like to give the District Managers the ability to share their screen with their employees (between 30 and 40 people) to conduct trainings. We will at times need to share documents which I know there are lots of solutions, i.e. Join.Me Pro, but what we really need to be able share the actual screen so we can train them on how to access and fill out the call reports that they will use.
I am having a challenge finding a solution that will allow us to share our iPad screen with 30 to 40 people at once on their PCs or iPads where they can actually watch us using iPad Apps.

It would also be a bonus if this would allow the District Manager to also view an employee's iPad screen to help trouble shoot or answer an individual's question. This only has to share with one or two others at most.

Any suggestions?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking of a possible solution involving the Apple TV. You can AirPlay Mirror the iPad Mini screen to the Apple TV, which outputs to a HDMI input to a TV. There must be something that can take that signal for a web conference.

This would be for presentation mode only however.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
join.me app might work for you, check it out as well, its a side project from the LogMeIn application group.

https://join.me/

join.me free

• up to 10 meeting participants
  • screen sharing
  • internet calling
  • share control
  • multi-monitor
  • chat
  • send files
  • viewer: iPad/iPhone or Android
join.me pro

all the goodies in free, plus
  • up to 250 meeting participants
  • annotation
  • unified audio & int'l conference lines
  • presenter swap
  • pro desktop app
  • personal link & background
  • meeting scheduler
  • meeting lock
  • user management & reporting
  • window sharing
  • presenter: iPad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've seen live blogs with iPad screens demoed. The one tool I know was used is Reflector, which lets you use AirPlay mirroring to display the iPad's screen on a computer. After that you'll want to find apps for the computer that can stream a window off the computer to some video streaming site like UStream, Google Groups, or similar.

I'd look for a few extras in the app, like virtual pointers and highlighting; since you won't be able to show what you fingers are doing directly.

You could also use a video capture app on the computer to create a video and stream or podcast it.

OP
J

James85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is frustrating is that LogMeIn pro tech support has been emailing me telling me their Pro account will do it on the iPad, but in reality it will do that on a Windows desktop, but with their iPad app, it will only share any docs that you can open inside their app. It will NOT share the whole screen and using othe apps.

twerppoet is right. After doing a LOT of research it appears that Reflector with AirPlay is the ONLY option available. I am then using LogMeIn pro to broadcast the iPad from my Windows laptop to the field employees we need to train.

I am also using Camtasia to record me using it so I can make a training video.

There is one catch to be aware of. Reflector will stutter sometimes, especially when there is a tranistion on the iPad, like sliding to the side or something popping up or down along the top or bottom. The only way to minimize this is to go with a smaller size to stream, be right next to your wirless router, etc.... But you will still have some. And as twerppoet mentioned Reflector does not give any indication when and where you are tapping on the screen, so you will have to have something else to direction people where to click, like LogMeIn Pro or telling people where on a conf call etc....

Thank you all for helping!!!!!!!

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Join.Me was a no-go then? I did not have a chance to test it out, as my trial expired, and did not go threw the hassle of a seperate Email/User.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad I helped, but sorry you didn't find an even better solution. Please keep us updated if you do find that ideal app/solution.

OP
J

James85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing I did additional was change my mouse cursor to a transparent png of a real hand with the index finger out to show were I am clicking. It is tricking as you have to run the iPad and the mouse at the same time but it looks cool.

OP
J

James85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes JoinMe for the iPad will not share the screen or other apps, only docs you can open up in their app. It took me 8 email exchanges to finally get their tech support person to either tell me exactly how to do it or admit their program could not do it on the iPad......they finally admitted that it couldn't. :thumbsdown:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only thing I did additional was change my mouse cursor to a transparent png of a real hand with the index finger out to show were I am clicking. It is tricking as you have to run the iPad and the mouse at the same time but it looks cool.

It's the details that make the difference between ok and great. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts