What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Several questions regarding backup and upgrade

stashman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

im new to the whole jailbreaking thing on the ipad. Currently im running 3.2.2 with the l1mera JB.

Now the thing is that several apps require IOS 4.2 already. So i might have to consider an upgrade. Here are my questions regarding this (i couldnt really find any clear cut answers)

NOTE: i have two pcs. Before i JB the ipad i backuped it on one of them (lets call it pc number 1).

Q1: in case i upgrade the IPAD as it is now - on pc number 2 --> will it upgrade to 4.2 OR do i first have to restore the ipad from an earlier backup in order to remove the JB?

Q2: in case it upgrades to 4.2 --> i will lose all JB apps i installed since they dont belong --> CAN i attempt to backup my JB 3.2.2 with all the apps and data on pc number 2 and then upgrade to 4.2 in order to resync the JB apps AFTER i applied the 4.2 JB?

So as u see i didnt dare to backup my JB ipad now since the install of JB in fear i lose all data which was added after the JB --> can i backup a JB ipad?

I have a lot of documents and emails im editing with appstore apps and i dont wanna lose them. Therefore i would like to perform a backup of my JB ipad before attempting the update..

and last --> in case anything goes wrong with the update or whatever --> can i simply connect to pc number 1 to get restore my old backup?
I dont care as much on data stored in the JBapps - but i dont want to lose my data from the original apps installed (part of which is not backuped) AND i would like to "restore" my JBed apps after the upgrade to 4.2 without downloading all the packages etc. again manually..

In my dreams the easiest version would be to simply connect to itunes on pc number two --> cancel the automated sync --> push "transfer all purchases" --> then upgrade to 4.2 --> JB --> restore all purchases from itunes and voila. but i guess it doesnt work that way??

I would be glad for some answers - if possible also with instructions in case i cannot simply backup my ipad before an attempted ugrade to 4.2

Thank you very much!

Most reactions

Latest posts