What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting up without iTunes

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi i've set my new iPad (mini) up without using iTunes and all is well. I now want to sync contacts, music and movies with iTunes but it asks me to set up as a new iPad or restore. I have no back-up to restore and assume I will lose everything i've set up if I say 'yes' to new iPad. Advice would be very welcome.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Were you not offered the option to transfer purchased from your iPad to iTunes? Also, without having the iPad connected to iTunes, go to iTunes preferences on your computer and select devices from the menu at the top. Make sure to check the box next to "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" the next time you connect to iTunes you should see the pop up asking to transfer purchases. Agree to that and after the transfer is complete, you can safely sync with iTunes and backup your iPad. There should be no need to restore your iPad.

In answer to your question about restoring without a backup, you would indeed lose everything on your iPad. Items purchased from iTunes can be re-downloaded from the purchased list but everything else would be lost.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have backed up your iPad to iCloud, you'll be able to restore from that backup after setting it up as new. Thus all the settings, app data you chose to backup, and everything you sync to iCloud will not be lost.

OP
O

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't backing up to the cloud lose your email account logins on restore?

OP
O

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Set to do not automatically sync as suggested. Connect ipad. Clicked ipad icon got set up as new ipad or restore from backup. No offer to download purchases.

Thought - if i backup my iPad 2 with password can I then restore that to an ipad mini 2? As I intend them both to be the same, in essence, would that work?

OP
O

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to sync with outlook for contacts so need itunes

Most reactions

Latest posts