What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting Up Profiles

claireb75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have just this lunchtime collected my brand new Ipad 2 from our local shop, and im very excited to play later.

I have an iphone so im very aware of how 90% of it works, but i do have a question which im hoping someone can help me with.

I will be the main person using it, but my partner will want to use it too, can i like our laptop create user accounts so we can log onto our own account have our own facebook email etc?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks
Claire

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid this cannot be done - at least in the 'Windows' sense of the word - i.e. you cannot log into separate user accounts on the iPad. Apple intended the iPad to be a single-user machine and hence didn't really incorporate any features that would enable multi-user use. Having said that, though, many Forum members ask for this feature...

Tim

Reaction score
As Tim already mentioned, the iPad is designed as one machine per person, and as such does not have any user account features.

However, if you and your partner are mostly using the browser, it would be possible to install two browsers. That way each one could save all passwords, etc. on their browser app.

OP
C

claireb75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh thats a shame, so it really is just one person and thats it! :-( i know someone at work who is a mac lover said i could set master (administrator) like he does on his macs as they are on the same OS - not sure if this is correct!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh thats a shame, so it really is just one person and thats it! :-( i know someone at work who is a mac lover said i could set master (administrator) like he does on his macs as they are on the same OS - not sure if this is correct!

I am sorry but your colleague is not correct. There is no 'Administrator' profile for the iPad.

The iPad and the Mac have completely different operating systems. Software that runs on the Mac will not run on the iPad and vice versa.

Tim

Reaction score
claireb75 said:

On Macs it is indeed possible to setup multiple user accounts. However, Macs and iPads do run on different operating systems. And the iOS, which is the OS that runs on iPads, iPods and iPhones does not provide multiple user accounts.

OP
C

claireb75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that is a shame and a let down - i read somewhere that someones advice was buy one each sadly i am not that flush with cash to be able to fork out £399 twice! oh well will have a think about it, might return it.

Thank you all for your help though appreciate your time.
Claire

Reaction score
You could always create two seperate folders labelled 'X' & 'Y' and than place your apps in the corresponding folder. There are various apps for Twitter, facebook, browser, etc.. While this would not hinder the other person from accessing one's own content, it does give the option of having things, such as facebook seperate.

But this is of course only a crude work-around.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could always create two seperate folders labaled 'Woman' & 'Man' and than place your apps in the corresponding folder. There are various apps for Twitter, facebook, browser, etc.. While this would not hinder the other person from accessing one's own content, it does give the option of having things, such as facebook seperate.

And, of course, the iPad's native Mail app supports multiple accounts, so you can each have your own email account - as long as you don't mind each other having the possibility of reading the other's email.

Tim

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
You could always create two seperate folders labelled 'X' & 'Y' and than place your apps in the corresponding folder. There are various apps for Twitter, facebook, browser, etc.. While this would not hinder the other person from accessing one's own content, it does give the option of having things, such as facebook seperate.

Or, just use the browser and log out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If sharing email is the only concern, and you use typical webmail accounts like Google, AOL, or Yahoo, then the Better Webmail app will let you secure each account with a PIN. The reviews are good, but I haven't tried the app myself. No reason, I'm the one person one device guy Apple was targeting. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts