What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting up Mail

Dee Bee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - please excuse me if this has been asked before, if so please redirect me. I am a newbie to iEverything - a slave to Mr Gates!

I have successfuly set up my iPad to send and receive mail using my BT Internet addresses in the UK and also my Sky IMAP address. However, when I try to setup another, third party, pop mailbox (althought I get the 'success' ticks) all I get is "the recipient was rejected by the server". I can receive emails from it fine.

The SMTP port is set automatically at 935 as I believe some ISP's block port 25. I have surfed the net and really can't find a solution.

I can receive and send email fine to this other address using MS Outlook so it is not the fault of the downline server.

Sorry to be so long winded! Hope someone can help.

Dee Bee

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - please excuse me if this has been asked before, if so please redirect me. I am a newbie to iEverything - a slave to Mr Gates!

I have successfuly set up my iPad to send and receive mail using my BT Internet addresses in the UK and also my Sky IMAP address. However, when I try to setup another, third party, pop mailbox (althought I get the 'success' ticks) all I get is "the recipient was rejected by the server". I can receive emails from it fine.

The SMTP port is set automatically at 935 as I believe some ISP's block port 25. I have surfed the net and really can't find a solution.

I can receive and send email fine to this other address using MS Outlook so it is not the fault of the downline server.

Sorry to be so long winded! Hope someone can help.

Dee Bee

You're right - most ISP's block 'Port 25 relay' because it's too easy to spoof someone's email and 'pretend' to be someone you're not. When our grandfathers first set up email they required a password for receiving POP email but never thought to require one for SMTP outgoing mail. After all, you need a key to open your (real) mail box, but no key to send your mail.

If you're logged on from your home network, then the ISP can be fairly confident that there's an authorised person logged in so, when you try to send mail through the usual SMTP port 25 there's no problem. But if you log into your SMTP server from an 'unknown' network - i.e. across the Internet, perhaps from an Internet cafe, they have no way of knowing who you are. As a result, most ISP's block port 25 email from an unknown network.

But authenticated outgoing mail, using SSL and the 'well known' port 465, is accepted by most ISPs - i.e. Google. My own ISP does not support this, so I send my outgoing mail using Google but with a reply-to address set up to point to my ISP. I do this even on my home network, after all - why not? Who cares where the mail is sent from? And since the reply-to address is set correctly, a responder who simply clicks 'reply to' will return their message to my ISP.

I was surprised by your use of port 935, as this is in a batch of 'unassigned' port numbers much loved by hackers. Is this the port number that is set up for this account on your PC? If not, I'd try 465, with SSL on and a user name and password - usually the same as you use for your POP mail.

OK - probably what I've said is complete nonesense - so, if it seems that way, just ignore me and I'll go away....there are Forum members out there who know a whole lot more about this than me, so I'd be happy to bow to their superior knowledge..

Tim
Scotland

OP
D

Dee Bee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions Tim - you are way ahead of me! I might have been wrong in quoting Port 935 - it was a fleeting glance before the iPad made its way (metaphorically) out of the window!

I'll try Port 465 as you suggest but I notice that my email provider (1and1) say I can use Port 587 for outging emails so I'll try that too. I suspect the problem is with BT Internet, my ISP, who I suspect want me always to use my BT email addresses. I don't understand why it allows MS Outlook to send emails via the 1and1 SMTP server using Port 25 while the iPad will not. The iPad was also was quite happy with my Sky email setup.

I have opened a googlemail account just in case but can you give me a brief guide how to change the reply to address in googlemail to my 1and1 email address as you have done.

Kind regards, David.

Most reactions

Latest posts