What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting Profile

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want to use a picture on my iPad as my Avatar (see attachment). However the upload from computer button is greyed out. Why? Also, I cannot upload pictures from my iPad into a photo album buttons greyed out. Are these features still to be enabled?

Some aspects of tweaking a profile are not that user friendly

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Attachments

• image-1511724395.png
    image-1511724395.png
    12 KB · Views: 406

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not possible to upload pictures from an iPad to a website easily. To use this picture as your avatar, it's much easier to do from a regular PC. It's not an iPF app or ipadforums.net issue, it's simply that the 'regular' Safari web-browser cannot be easily used to upload photographs.

So the advice is to do this on your PC - some things are easier on a PC and some things are easier on an iPad.

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Photo has to be done on pc I think, that's why I haven't done it but I've uploaded dozens of photos on the iPad?

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem has to do with the lack of a central file system on the iPad. Since there isn't one there is no way for the a web page to browse for the right file to upload. Rather than have it fail and give error messages Apple chooses to grey out the button to let you know it won't work.

iCab Mobile will works with some web pages (or so I hear), but you have to move the file to the iCab Browser first. I think it is possible using the Open In feature. However it does not work with this forum's site.

If you don't have a computer, there is an awkward way to upload photos to the forum using a combination of the iPad and internet storage. Let me know if it is your only option, and I'll let you know what hoops have to be jumped through.

Most popular photo hosting sites have iPad apps that can be used to upload photos to them. A quick search of the App Store may help you there.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Mikel
I expect I will do prep work to photos on my PC and use iTunes to add avatars. I have found a quick way of loading photos onto the iPad. Email them to my self, then download them. Disadvantage is that I cannot designate a folder. I have to create folders on the PC in a mini folder structure which I have set up for synchronisation

I have added a WP called "Pages" and spreadsheet called "numbers" to the iPad. Both work well with an external keyboard. They aren't too sophisticated but do an adequate job.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Photo has to be done on pc I think, that's why I haven't done it but I've uploaded dozens of photos on the iPad?

Thanks Hayles
I love the photo frame capabilities of the iPad. I find setting slideshows to music superbly entertaining :)

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
It is not possible to upload pictures from an iPad to a website easily. To use this picture as your avatar, it's much easier to do from a regular PC. It's not an iPF app or ipadforums.net issue, it's simply that the 'regular' Safari web-browser cannot be easily used to upload photographs.

So the advice is to do this on your PC - some things are easier on a PC and some things are easier on an iPad.

Tim

Thanks Tim

I'll do as you advise. I am quickly learning iPad's strengths (several) and weaknesses (not many). It's a cases of horses for courses ;)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

Thanks Tim

I'll do as you advise. I am quickly learning iPad's strengths (several) and weaknesses (not many). It's a cases of horses for courses ;)

Yes - and it's good to see that you've taken the iPad on-board with its strengths and weaknesses. A lot of the 'rants' against the iPad that we get on iPF are from people who have purchased one without really looking in to what it can do. Then they expect it to completely replace their laptop. It's like buying a Ford Mondeo and then expecting it to be good for cross-country work.

It's really a new way of doing some things - as Steve Jobs said "A third way". OK - of course - that's marketing hype, but there is a certain truth in it.

I've used computers since the very early days - mainframes, paper tape and punched cards - and I find that my iPad replaces my laptop for about 80% or more of what I have to do. It's much much more convenient to carry around and, to me at least, the phenomenal battery life is a great, unsung strength. I used to be a laptop junkie, always looking for the power outlets at Starbucks or in the airport - now I simply don't care.

Coupled with a folding Bluetooth keyboard (I do a lot of typing) it's a perfect companion.

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Amen to that, praying to our supergod! Yes, it's my no. 1 peeve, that and the f word. Oh, and repetitive threads. Okay, okay, I'm finished now.

I have my photos to classical music, very relaxing and entertaining!

Now playing Carmina Burana - O Fortuna! ( old spice advert from my youth!)

Last edited:

leuser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a new iPad user, i am looking for ways to sync more than one calendar using MobileMe as cloud.
can anyone help?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As a new iPad user, i am looking for ways to sync more than one calendar using MobileMe as cloud.
can anyone help?

Go to me.com on a computer. Set up your calendars there. They will automatically sync with your iPad's MobileMe account. Once the calendars are created you can add/edit/update events on the iPad or me.com.

You can not go to me.com using the iPad's browser.

To set up MobileMe on the iPad go to the Settings app, Mail, Contacts, Calendars, choose Add Account, then MobileMe. Enter your MobileMe username and password.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have tried to upload a picture from my computer (Windows XP) into my iPF profile, but no luck.

I connected the iPad & PC. Ran sync in iTunes, but try as I may, the load a file from computer as Avatar button remains greyed out. I have reconnected, checked the menus all to no avail. I don't have a website.

Suggestion please

Most reactions

Latest posts