What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sending email with alternate addresses in the from field?

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all!

I tried to search for this, but it is hard to describe. I have gmail, and I have my work email which I'd just an alias that forwards to my gmail. I also have my own custom domain and website an another email from that... That also forward to my gmail... In gmail on my desktop iMac I can choose to send email with whatever address I want in the "from:" field. On my iPad the only option seems to be sending the email from my gmail address.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In order to send emails from other accounts from the Mail app you'll have to add those accounts to the iPad directly, instead of forwarding them through GMail. There is no way for Mail to get the mail server information from Google for the forwarded accounts, and it won't let you fake a Sent From address.

What mail client are you using on the iMac. I use Apple's Mail program, and it only lets select addresses from accounts I've set up. I can't manually enter any old thing I want.

If you are using GMail from Safari, or another web browser, that makes sense. After all, you set those accounts up in GMail, so it knows how to send them through the right servers.

Using Safari you can go to the mobile version of the GMail site. I don't know if you can do what you want there, but it's worth a try. If you need the full version of the site you can use a browser like Atomic. You can set it to tell Google it's a desktop browser and get the full GMail site. Everything may, or may not work that way. Sometimes the redirects to mobile sites are there for a reason.

And that's all I've got that may help.

OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I think I'll need to get that browser so I can use the full version of gmail... Not an elegant solution but better than nothing.

Gmail won't let you mail from a forwarding address in till you verify it. ( gmail sends you an email with a link to test that you really own the address. )

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, glad to help. You'll have to experiment with the full version of GMail on the iPad and see what works. It's possible that some features won't work, or will be difficult to use. It is designed for a full desktop browser, after all. Atomic is only a mobile browser, it just tells little white lies to the internet.

But I think you'll be ok. I fooled around with it just bit. What I tried worked. The full version of Google Calendar worked too, though it was sometimes hard to tap just the right spot when adding or editing events.

Reaction score
Hi!
I know this is a really old thread, but if anybody (like me!) is googling this problem and comes across this post, they may be discouraged from looking further. There is actually a really simple solution to this so that you can send from any of your alternate emails from your gmail account (or anywhere else). It just involves setting up your gmail account on the iPad as an imap account and then typing in the other email addresses in the email field... They will then show up in a drop down "from" field in your regular iPad email compose window.

Apparently, since I'm new to this forum, it won't let me post a link, but copy and paste the following, just delete the space before .com :) This will walk you through the full step-by-step instructions. Super easy!

Moderator edit: Please don't attempt to bypass the rule for external links. It exists for a purpose.

Happy emailing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions