What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Send email attachment/photos

hyrum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why are you camping out now? The iPad two came out a couple weeks ago. I went to get the new one, but when I saw the line and that the price on the old one dropped $100, I decided to buy the old one. Plus, BestBuy had two "open box" models that they knocked another $40 off. I figured if I like it and really need the new improvements, I'll get a new one and give my old one to my kids. Like I thought, they always want to play on it anyway. "Daddy, can I play on your iPad? Daddy, can I play on your iPod? Can I play on your phone?" LOL

Anyway, back to the topic.

Yeah, it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to open an email and attach any type of file I want to my reply. However, it is not possible natively. It seems to be cumbersome to go through a third party application and only possible to create new email messages with an attachment.

I don't know what Ncaissie was talking about. I just found this forum and thread yesterday, signed up, and jumped in.

Thanks for all of your contributions.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why are you camping out now? The iPad two came out a couple weeks ago. I went to get the new one, but when I saw the line and that the price on the old one dropped $100, I decided to buy the old one. Plus, BestBuy had two "open box" models that they knocked another $40 off. I figured if I like it and really need the new improvements, I'll get a new one and give my old one to my kids. Like I thought, they always want to play on it anyway. "Daddy, can I play on your iPad? Daddy, can I play on your iPod? Can I play on your phone?" LOL

Anyway, back to the topic.

Yeah, it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to open an email and attach any type of file I want to my reply. However, it is not possible natively. It seems to be cumbersome to go through a third party application and only possible to create new email messages with an attachment.

I don't know what Ncaissie was talking about. I just found this forum and thread yesterday, signed up, and jumped in.

Thanks for all of your contributions.
The mail app is like the iPod app and the printing functions. It is used by all other apps as a service app. With this logic in mind it becomes natural to open a file and then use the mail functions within the app that created it.

hyrum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Ivan.

I haven't found my iPod touch to be useful for email; the screen is about the same size as my Droid phone. However, with the iPad's bigger display, I thought it could be my primary email device. But, the attachment issue is a show stopper.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hyrum said:
What about attachments other than photos?

The GoodReader app is $4.99, not $0.99.

I bought it anyway, but still can't figure out how to add an attachment when replieing to an email message.

Anybody know how? Thanks.

Easy, just go into good reader, press the Manage files tab. Then click on the attachment or attachments u want to email, then press the email tab button.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Littlecay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't do that

I'll get flamed for this. But here is some honest truth about iPads...

Using an iPad is like going backwards in time some twenty years! You can't send attachments in the iPad's native email app.... Forget multiple attchs, you can't even send one! If you don't own one you won't believe that, bit it is true! The email app is junk. And it would be easy to write any number of email programs that would be better, but of course, Apple does not allow that!

More proof that the iPad is a time machine that only goes backwards? When was the last time you used a computer that didn't have undo? Can you imagine using a device for more than ten minutes that didn't have undo? Well, buy an iPad and you can experience that for yourself... Again... After all these years.

Unreliable, browser too. Although this is supposed to be one of the iPad's strengths... It really isn't! Going to websites with iPad Safari is worse than twenty years ago. At least back then when you went to a site, if you could load it, it worked. With the iPad you never know if a site is going to work or not. I just got dinged $15 by my credit card company for missing a payment that I had made at their site using... You guessed it... The iPad. The payment appeared to go through, but as with many sites using forms, you just never know if the site has properly processed inputs from an iPad. In my case, the payment appeared to go through, but actually didn't at all. Fun, eh?

And wait until you try to type on one! My Palm Treo had better predictive typing. You must constantly correct the iPad's lame suggestions that are used by default, while you type. Depending on what line of business you are in, the iPad will make you sound like you are just a clumsy typist, or completely illiterate! And then trying to position your cursor in a TYPING FIELD LIKE THIS ONE is a complete nightmare... It is slow, if it works at all.

I'm pretty tech savvy and have tried to make my iPad useful for nearly ten months. My netbook is way more useful, day-to-day. I travel extensively and had originally hoped to replace the netbook with the iPad... Today, I just laugh at how naive I was! It is the iPad that I don't bother to pack, now!

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not going to flame you. I am going to point out that somewhere along the line you've confused an iPad with a lap top.

The rest of your post is just a rant. Did you sign on to iPad Forums to set help using your iPad or just to complain? People who rant like that on the first post usually have a bad case of buyers remorse.

I don't know where you got your iPad from but usually you can return them in the first couple of weeks after you've purchasedd them

See you and I use the iPad for different reasons. I use it to help me moderate the Forums I work, control my iTunes when I'm playing my stereo downstairs, and for all the wonderful apps that you can use with it. Take a look at my favoriete app SounHound. So amazing. A app that can hear music downstairs, recgnize the song, provide me the group and the lyrics and offer e videos if available. Totally awesome.

In summation, again you are treating it like a lap top and it just isnt't one.. Try thinking out of the box and see what you can do with it.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Using an iPad is like going backwards in time some twenty years! You can't send attachments in the iPad's native email app.... Forget multiple attchs, you can't even send one! If you don't own one you won't believe that, bit it is true! The email app is junk. And it would be easy to write any number of email programs that would be better, but of course, Apple does not allow that!

More proof that the iPad is a time machine that only goes backwards? When was the last time you used a computer that didn't have undo? Can you imagine using a device for more than ten minutes that didn't have undo? Well, buy an iPad and you can experience that for yourself... Again... After all these years.

Unreliable, browser too. Although this is supposed to be one of the iPad's strengths... It really isn't! Going to websites with iPad Safari is worse than twenty years ago. At least back then when you went to a site, if you could load it, it worked. With the iPad you never know if a site is going to work or not. I just got dinged $15 by my credit card company for missing a payment that I had made at their site using... You guessed it... The iPad. The payment appeared to go through, but as with many sites using forms, you just never know if the site has properly processed inputs from an iPad. In my case, the payment appeared to go through, but actually didn't at all. Fun, eh?

And wait until you try to type on one! My Palm Treo had better predictive typing. You must constantly correct the iPad's lame suggestions that are used by default, while you type. Depending on what line of business you are in, the iPad will make you sound like you are just a clumsy typist, or completely illiterate! And then trying to position your cursor in a TYPING FIELD LIKE THIS ONE is a complete nightmare... It is slow, if it works at all.

I'm pretty tech savvy and have tried to make my iPad useful for nearly ten months. My netbook is way more useful, day-to-day. I travel extensively and had originally hoped to replace the netbook with the iPad... Today, I just laugh at how naive I was! It is the iPad that I don't bother to pack, now!
I don't believe you when you say you've had an iPad for ten months otherwise you would have discovered all the workarounds to all the problems you mention. And I even will bet that you've never purchased an app...

First, don't limit yourself to the apps that came with the iPad. It's a far better machine if you use third party apps.
Second, you're thinking your computer usage like you would a PC where a software application does everything within itself through millions of code lines. That does not work with the iPad. It's designed to work with fewer code lines within specific energy consumption guidelines.

Go ask Microsoft to build you a tablet with optimized software and see what it can do and how fast...

Reaction score
Littlecay,The future is apps. Usage wise for us and revenue wise for manufacturers.No matter what os you chose it's going to be very limited out of the box.
As long as we realize this it's a win/win.
I have yet to find anything I couldn't find an app for on my Incredible and only 1 thing (settings widget) on my Ipad and with so many businesses having apps the need to do business with them over the net is less and less . Maybe your credit card company has an app and you don't need to use Safari.
If you don't want to get on board with apps then nothing is going to satisfy.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Littlecay said:

If you're so unhappy with this device, why do you still keep it? Sell it already and use the money to get something that you're happier with. I appreciate your candor but...don't prolong your misery. Maybe a Xoom would be better for you?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

J13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, it's not a laptop. But there are some things that you should be able to take for granted to work, like sending attachments in an email, and the ability to easily move files on and off of the device. I should be able to drag and drop files on and off of it like an external wireless hard drive. You shouldn't have to buy third party apps to perform such fundamental tasks.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, it's not a laptop. But there are some things that you should be able to take for granted to work, like sending attachments in an email, and the ability to easily move files on and off of the device. I should be able to drag and drop files on and off of it like an external wireless hard drive. You shouldn't have to buy third party apps to perform such fundamental tasks.
You can move files with a drag and drop with iFiles. You can email as many attachments as you like with GoodReader. You can modify stuff on your computer directly with SplashTop. You can import and read files wirelessly with FileBrowser. Grand total of less than 20$. Just try to find any software by Microsoft for that price...

Apps are bits and pieces of specialized software a little like modules. You just use the one you need for the task at hand.

Philip_1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can move files with a drag and drop with iFiles. You can email as many attachments as you like with GoodReader. You can modify stuff on your computer directly with SplashTop. You can import and read files wirelessly with FileBrowser. Grand total of less than 20$. Just try to find any software by Microsoft for that price...

Apps are bits and pieces of specialized software a little like modules. You just use the one you need for the task at hand.

Correct!
I am using ifiles for all the above mentioned!:)

Most reactions