What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi-Tethered Jailbreak Available (For iPad1 Owners)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to Poser for bringing this to our attention...

The people at Big Boss have posted a procedure whereby folks with an iPad1 on a tethered jail break for iOS 5 can now do a semi-tethered jailbreak. Now, if you are JB'd, tethered, if you install this Cydia tweak, you can partially re-boot your tethered iPad1 while away from your "home" PC! How cool is that?

See this from Big Boss for all the details: Semitethered Jailbreak | iPhone News, Apps, BigBoss, Guides & Jailbreaking

Please understand that this is not a jail break option for the the iPad2. This is only for those folk currently able to jail break their iPad1 - tethered. It may make life a little easier when away from your computer and you need to re-boot the iPad1.

And, this is beta - so try at your own risk! Also, a note of caution: The developer has only tried this on an iPhone 4 (running iOS5). And again - this is NOT for and has nothing to do with the iPad2...

Nice find, Poser!

Marilyn

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah this is big big news for any jailbreaker on a tethered jailbreak.

Especially an iPhone.

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds cool, but I still want to wait until it's untethered before I take the plunge into iOS 5.

We wont have to wait that long. Right?

Right? :(

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
macmee said:
sounds cool, but i still want to wait until it's untethered before i take the plunge into ios 5.

We wont have to wait that long. Right?

Right? :(

lol :)

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Semi-tether has been updated to 0.7.9, include fixes. With more fixes in a day or two.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, for a complete numpty like me.....what exactly does semi-tethered mean? BTW, I did read the article but I just need to know in numpty terms!

The Archangel

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Ok, for a complete numpty like me.....what exactly does semi-tethered mean? BTW, I did read the article but I just need to know in numpty terms!

The Archangel

Lemme grab that video.

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Archangel

Basically if you jailbreak on iOS5 presently and try to reboot your phone it wont turn back on unless plugged into your computer. Semi-tethered means you can reboot your jailbroken phone but you'll only be able to make phone calls and send text messages, as well as browse the internet on any browser other than safari.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It won't boot if you have something hooked into the kernel like mobile substrate. But SemiTether takes care of it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone got this going on iPad1?

Mine wont' boot. iPhone4 works a treat, but just cannot get the iPad to reboot once it is installed...

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't test iPad 1 yet, but I did on a friends 3GS and it won't boot up either, but I read you have to boot tethered first and try again, which I didn't do either.

And it did state it will take long to boot.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but I think 20 minutes is long enough to wait. It goes into a reboot loop. I've tried several times already.

The iPhone4 takes about 20 seconds extra to boot, and works perfectly.

Most reactions