What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

selling my ipad and trying to do a reset

ocdetails

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a jailbroken 32gb ipad that i'm getting rid of and wanted to get it back to stock before it leaves. I was thinking about just syncing it to itunes and letting it do a system update on it. would that do the trick, or am I better off just doing a system restore? Which will erase everything best? I just want it to be a bone stock ipad with nothing on it that doesn't come from the factory. If this guy wants it jailbroken, then he can go figure that out for himself. :)

Averros

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are not worried about it being able to be jail broken then the best bet is to run a restore on it. That will set it to factory on the current firmware 4.3.5. This is the best option to ensure all of your data is removed.

Averros

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Connect your old iPad to your computer and right click (or control click) on the device name in iTunes. Select "Back Up" from the pop-up menu and let it do it's thing (If you're working on a laptop, make sure you're fully charged or connected to a power source).

Once it's finished, click on the device name again to bring up the "summary" panel in the main window. Click on the "Restore" button and confirm that you want to erase everything from your iPad and restore it to its factory settings.

If you don't use iTunes, you can also restore your iPad on the device itself. Click "Settings," select "General" and then choose "Reset." Make sure your 'Pad is plugged in to power (a full restore could drain your battery), then confirm that you want to erase and restore your device for the next happy iPad owner.

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Connect your old iPad to your computer and right click (or control click) on the device name in iTunes. Select "Back Up" from the pop-up menu and let it do it's thing (If you're working on a laptop, make sure you're fully charged or connected to a power source).

Once it's finished, click on the device name again to bring up the "summary" panel in the main window. Click on the "Restore" button and confirm that you want to erase everything from your iPad and restore it to its factory settings.

If you don't use iTunes, you can also restore your iPad on the device itself. Click "Settings," select "General" and then choose "Reset." Make sure your 'Pad is plugged in to power (a full restore could drain your battery), then confirm that you want to erase and restore your device for the next happy iPad owner.

Will this also work this way on an iPod? I have one I'd like to get back to factory settings, with everything deleted.

Most reactions

Latest posts