What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sell ePub in apps section?

cumaso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could I sell an ePub document in the apps section of iTunes?

I know I could sell it in iBooks, but I think this particular project might sell better in the app store.

I am completely new to ePub, I am just trying to wrap my brain around how it works. I noticed there is a "Books" section in the app store, is it possible any of these are eEubs?

Or do you always need to open an .epub file inside some kind of a reader?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You would have to wrap your ePub document in a reader app. There are some of those now. See the books category in the store.

-t

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are also several sites on the web promising to wrap your content into an app. I can't remember any of the names off the top of my head. Some are for professional magazine publishing, others appear to be for books.

For myself there are only two kinds of books I'd buy from the App Store. Interactive books (like children's books) and references. Reference books (and they better have good organization and/or search functions) would sell better in the References section.

Apps take up too much space (storage and screen) for me to consider them as a book solution.

PR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am curious other than the type of books twerppoet mentioned why you would want to wrap a book in an app. It doesn't sound like you want to add any functionality so why add the overhead of app development.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Visibility. More people browse the App store than browse the iBook store.

-t

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My two cents says that neither the app store or iBook store is very "browsable". Your best bet is an excellent product, and some decent advertising. :)

PR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sell a good number of books in the iBookstore and to be honest I have no idea how people find them. Although as Jeeper stated I suppose it could be that I am publishing good content. :)

brutfood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
madskool.wordpress.com
I'm also considering this option. Creating my own app wrapper for my book, which will also allow to craft my own interactive content. But I'm still weighing up the options. I've got my work cut out for me writing the book content - so I'd rather not endure the extra development effort, unless there's compelling reason to do so.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm also considering this option. Creating my own app wrapper for my book, which will also allow to craft my own interactive content. But I'm still weighing up the options. I've got my work cut out for me writing the book content - so I'd rather not endure the extra development effort, unless there's compelling reason to do so.

Have you checked out Apple's new iBook Author software? Hopefully it is available in Australia, and you need a Mac; but if those two options are true then there is probably no easier way of creating an interactive book for the iBook Store.

Mac App Store - iBooks Author

Most reactions

Latest posts