What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

selective syncing

Lawrence NY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi .. my son lent me his iPad 1, containing a few movies. I've converted an owned DVD film to mp4 and gotten it into iTunes. The film appears on my video summary, but is grayed out. When I check the Sync Movies box, a dialogue box appears, saying that this will delete what is on the iPad and replace it with the movies now on iTunes. Can't do that, so .. how do I move the mp4 file onto the iPad from iTunes? Thanks!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Although it's an MP4 file, the underlying resolution or codecs may not be what iTunes expects to be compatible with the iPad., so therefore blanks it out. So the file likely won't work in the Video app.

You could try a 3rd party media player app, they have a broader ability to play various containers and codecs, and should be able to play the file OK. Those apps have various alternate methods of getting the file into the app.

I am not sure if it being an iPad 1 will provide any limitations in regards to compatible apps, etc.

OP
L

Lawrence NY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although it's an MP4 file, the underlying resolution or codecs may not be what iTunes expects to be compatible with the iPad., so therefore blanks it out. So the file likely won't work in the Video app.

You could try a 3rd party media player app, they have a broader ability to play various containers and codecs, and should be able to play the file OK. Those apps have various alternate methods of getting the file into the app.

I am not sure if it being an iPad 1 will provide any limitations in regards to compatible apps, etc.

Thanks dhewson .. this iPad is still registered to my son .. my simplest solution is to have my dear wife watch the films, then offer the unit back. If this turns out to be a gift, I'll just re-register & install my own library. My sense is that I'll then get access to sync what's needed. If not .. I'll be back to you .. thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts