What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

selecting text often very tricky

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
the concept is simple: drag the start and end points ‘til the desired text is selected.

yet sometimes the blue lollipops will zing away from where my fingertip is, or they will snap shut just as I’m about finished selecting a line, or suddenly they will select far more than what I’m dragging my fingertips over.

Is there anything a person can do to make this better, easier to control , selectors more obedient of the fingertip?

thank you!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I'd suggest is make sure you are not inadvertently touching another part of the screen while you are selecting.

It is fiddly and takes practice, but you shouldn't see text selection happening in a different area.

You could try zooming in to make the selection area easier to locate.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's indeed capricious, buggy, and highly inconsistent. Sometimes in Mail, the insertion point simply won't appear until I save the message as a draft, close Mail, then reopen it. If you think it's difficult on a 12.9, try it on a Mini! Persistence usually pays off, though.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
good to know it’s not just me, and I will take your advice

thank you!

pablomanila

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the concept is simple: drag the start and end points ‘til the desired text is selected.

yet sometimes the blue lollipops will zing away from where my fingertip is, or they will snap shut just as I’m about finished selecting a line, or suddenly they will select far more than what I’m dragging my fingertips over.

Is there anything a person can do to make this better, easier to control , selectors more obedient of the fingertip?

thank you!

You can actually use the keyboard as trackpad to easily position the cursor.

1. Tap one finger and select.
2. Tap two fingers on the keyboard and drag to end of selection.

How to use trackpad mode on iPhone and iPad

Last edited:
OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pablomanila,

thank you^3 !

this is a huge help...I think that apple should offer such demos the way they do for track pads on mbpro, but I’m grateful for this information.

whew!

Most reactions

Latest posts