What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Select Apps to appear in 'Open In'

epontell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears that iPad limits only 10 apps to appear in the 'Open In' menus (e.g., the menu in the mail client). Is there any way of selecting which apps will appear here? E.g., I used to be able to see GoodReader as one of the options, but now it is gone and cannot find a way of getting it back in that menu.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try uninstall and reinstall good reader. Maybe it will put it back to the top of the list

OP
E

epontell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did think of that and tried, with no success, still goodreader not showing up in the list. It actually shows up for certain types of files (e.g., PPT) but not for PDF. On the other hand some quite irrelevant applications appear in the Open In list for PDF file (e.g., AirShare and iBook).

N0N0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solution to this problem

Hi,

I had the same problem on my ipad2.

I installed a Pdf printer and did not see the Open In option to this app in other apps.

What you have to do is to uninstall other apps 1 by 1 and after each uninstall you look if your app appears in the Open In option.

When it appears, you re-install the other apps. The only thing to know is that your other apps will not appear in the open in list because if the limitation of this list.

So, uninstall and reinstall only apps that are not usefull in the Open In list.

Hope this helps... I know that your question was posted a long time ago but my answer may help other users ...

Arnaud

Last edited:

mikehoopes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Open message to Apple:

Whatever happened to Appendices for the rest of us who don't mind reading a little? I'm not talking "system integration" here, just a very small fraction of what comes up in Windows when you right-click on a file.

Could we please have a "Productivity" section in Options that will allow us to configure "Open in...", among other mission-critical functions? Having to uninstall apps to clear up that list is highly inconvenient and frustrating, and the iPad tells me I may lose data each time when I do so. Here are my 10 apps that pushed Dropbox and Evernote off the list; which ones should I get rid of, Solomon?

iBooks
Quickoffice
Note Taker HD
Adobe Reader
Stanza
iPrint&Scan
GoodReader
Air Sharing
Kindle
LogMeIn

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mikehoopes said:
Open message to Apple:

Whatever happened to Appendices for the rest of us who don't mind reading a little? I'm not talking "system integration" here, just a very small fraction of what comes up in Windows when you right-click on a file.

Could we please have a "Productivity" section in Options that will allow us to configure "Open in...", among other mission-critical functions? Having to uninstall apps to clear up that list is highly inconvenient and frustrating, and the iPad tells me I may lose data each time when I do so. Here are my 10 apps that pushed Dropbox and Evernote off the list; which ones should I get rid of, Solomon?

iBooks
Quickoffice
Note Taker HD
Adobe Reader
Stanza
iPrint&Scan
GoodReader
Air Sharing
Kindle
LogMeIn

How about posting your wants list here http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

The Archangel

Glorfinniel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the problem is iBooks. On both my iPod Touch and my iPhone I was unable to solve the problem by deleting other apps. However when I deleted iBooks all my other PDF-related apps reappeared on the Open In list. I now have a choice of 22 apps in the Open In list on my iPod Touch and 17 on my iPhone.

Most reactions

Latest posts