What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Select ALL Email Messages for Deletion

domainbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get Hundreds of emails daily most of which need instant deleting.

How in heavens do I select all to do this. In ios6 it was difficult, at the moment using ios7 it seems impossible.

Regards
Lee

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get Hundreds of emails daily most of which need instant deleting.

How in heavens do I select all to do this. In ios6 it was difficult, at the moment using ios7 it seems impossible.

Regards
Lee

iOS 7 did not give us the option to select all emails for deleting; it's the same as iOS 6. You have to be in a mail box and select "Edit" at the top left of the emails list. Then, you have to individually check each e-mail after selection, you press the "Delete" button at the bottom.

Maybe some day we'll get a "Select All" button, but not with this iOS 7 version.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One thing did change. If you were used to swiping left to right in the list to get the Delete button you're going to have to rewire your brain to swipe right to left instead. On the other hand you'll get more options than delete, so it is not all bad. Just think of it as sliding the email sideways to expose the Delete and More options. That's what works for me.

You used to be able to swipe in either direction. They probably removed the left to right swipe because it would be too easy to accidentally swipe from the edge of the screen. That new gesture lets you go back one level, so that if you were viewing a list of emails you go back to the list of Inboxes and Accounts.

This back gesture also works in some other apps, though it's not as consistent as it could be.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, and while you can't select all emails in the Inbox, Apple did give us the ability to Delete All in the Trash and Junk folder in Yahoo, Gmail, and probably most other IMAP services. In iOS 6 you could only do this in an iCloud account.

Swipe back (as per the previous post) then select your account form the Account list, choose the Junk or Trash folder, tap Edit at the top right of the list. You should see a read Delete All option at the bottom right of the list.

Before this all I could recommend was getting the GMail or Yahoo Mail apps and deleting your trash and junk/spam using those apps, or though the webmail interface.

It's these little things I love finding in iOS updates, in many ways more than the big new features.

Most reactions

Latest posts