What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeking Video App with Anamorphic (squeezed) Video Output

Kruskal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I want is to show a wide video (9x16) on a wide screen TV using the composite out accessory, such as in a hotel room. Since RCA composite out is inherently 3x4, the idea here is to have the 9x16 picture distorted by the app into a squeezed 3x4, getting the iPad mirrored on the TV and then use the TV's stretch feature (often the default in a hotel) to get the picture right.

Does anyone know of such an iPad app?

Thanks -- Vincent

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm thinking some of your assumptions are flawed here. The cable itself has no bearing on the aspect ratio of the video passing through it. I expect the cable you are using will be dock connector to composite.

You just need an app that outputs video as AirPlay to keep the video in the right ratio. Try the native Video app and experiment. Video playback apps are either going to be AirPlay compatible or not.

OP
K

Kruskal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now see that I wasn't simply talking about aspect ratio (thanks to you). Sure I can get a video app to show a 9x16 video in the proper aspect ratio, but that would give me black bands on the top and bottom on the iPad. If I use the dock to composite adapter to attach a 9x16 TV, I will get black bands on all four sides! Now, its true that I could use zoom on the TV (often not available on a hotel TV). But what a waste of resolution! Much better would be to squeeze the 9x16 picture to 3x4 and use the stretch on the TV (typically the default).

Thus my question. Maybe I am still overlooking something.

Thanks -- Vincent

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kruskal said:
I now see that I wasn't simply talking about aspect ratio (thanks to you). Sure I can get a video app to show a 9x16 video in the proper aspect ratio, but that would give me black bands on the top and bottom on the iPad. If I use the dock to composite adapter to attach a 9x16 TV, I will get black bands on all four sides! Now, its true that I could use zoom on the TV (often not available on a hotel TV). But what a waste of resolution! Much better would be to squeeze the 9x16 picture to 3x4 and use the stretch on the TV (typically the default).

Thus my question. Maybe I am still overlooking something.

Thanks -- Vincent

I believe with the right cable and AirPlay compliant app, it should automatically correct during playback. Possibly the composite cable won't allow this like the HDMI or VGA adapters do.

OP
K

Kruskal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly. With the right app (I use AirAV) and an HDMI or VGA adapter, no problem. However, many hotel TVs only offer RCA (composite) input.

Parenthetically, I have a TV which has its own problem, where I need this even with VGA input. When I connect with my PC, I use VLC's 3x4 aspect ratio setting and the TV's stretch feature in exactly the way I describe here.

If no one can recommend a video app to me, I would greatly appreciate an explanation of why this a hard thing to implement (if so). (Just to put my mind to rest.)

Thanks -- Vincent

OP
K

Kruskal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One feature of GoodPlayer is: "Fit on Fullscreen", as opposed to "Crop on Fullscreen" . This sounds as though it might be what I am looking for. Does anyone know?

Thanks -- Vincent

Last edited:

hustmobile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.
For GoodPlayer "Crop on Fullscreen" and "Fit on Fullscreen" will not change aspect ratio at all (just use the original aspect ratio), so they are not what you needed.

However, you mentioned that the VLC aspect ratio works for you, GoodPlayer has a "Aspect Ratio" setting too, it is something similar to the VLC's aspect ratio feature. So you can give a try on GoodPlayer.

OP
K

Kruskal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I "give it a try"?

Thanks -- Vincent

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to overwrite the default aspect ratio, go to Settings > Aspect Ratio (it's at the bottom of the first, "Audio/Video Setting" group) and select a widescreen aspect ratio.

OP
K

Kruskal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have now tried GoodPlayer and it, indeed, does what I want. I set Aspect Ratio to 3:4 and the video is played squeezed on the iPad so that when mirrored on a wide screen TV, I can use the TV's Wide setting (stretch) to watch the video 9:16. I have the following caveats:

1- I haven't yet had the chance to test it using an RCA (composite) cable. I see no reason why it will not work, but I'll see. I used a VGA cable on a TV which has a bug causing the iPad to fail to recognize it as a 9:16.

2- The GoodPlayer aspect ratio only works when its software is doing the decoding. So no hardware acceleration and no deferring to the iPad plugin. I observed no problem with this except no 1080p videos can be played in this fashion. For me 720p is good enough, but if I have a retinal display, it would be nice to download videos which use it.

I really think that this "hotel feature" should be highlighted, or at least, searchable on iTunes. It was really hard for me to find this great video player, GoodPlayer. Maybe there are others. No one but me seems to care. I don't understand why.

Thanks to all -- Vincent

Most reactions

Latest posts