What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeking opinions about home theatre, specifically Bose

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got one I'd like to turn loose on the forum.

I'm presently eyeballing home theatre equipment, and like the look of the Bose Acoustimass 10 system. BestBuy presently have a deal comprising a set of those and an a/v control amp for $1149.

I did a spot of googling and found (to my surprise) that Bose have a horrible reputation in the audio field, so I thought I'd ask here. Any experience with the brand? Any tales you want to share? Or any recommendations for alternatives?

I really don't want to drop more than $2000 on a system, but I'd be comfortable going up to that figure. I'm not bothered whether I get stereo or 5.1 (or 6.1/7.1).

Just want something that will do justice to my music collection.

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kevin,

Just browsing thru and see this thread :)
Not sure why and where that "Bose have a horrible reputation in the audio field" comes from. I'd think that Bose's audio equipments are among the bests, if not the very best.
I purchased my first Bose system in 1975, and continue with Bose for the past 40 or so years.
Best Buy may not be a good place to audition an audio system since the store is large. Ideally, do it at home or in similar environment.

Anyway, it may be too late now as you perhaps got your dream system already.:)

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @mydave.

Since I wrote that post I have put together a system and, incredibly, stayed under budget. I ended up with a Yamaha AV receiver, Polk Audio towers, centre and surrounds, and SoundStage front presence and subwoofer.

I acquired another centre speaker (JBL) and a CD player that my neighbour was going to throw in the garbage so I grabbed them. I'm using the centre in the rear surround position.

It appears that the animosity towards Bose is on a similar level to that found towards Apple on Android forums etc. it gets pretty personal. Anyway, too late now. I dived in and I'm quite pleased with my shopping. The Yamaha (RX-A730) is a great addition to an Apple system since it is AirPlay compatible.

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It appears that the animosity towards Bose is on a similar level to that found towards Apple on Android forums etc.
Quite true. Bose is in a class by itself, and they control pricing in the same way as Apple does.
Yamaha, Polk, JBL are all great names, along with Klips, Harman Kardon, and few others. I've tried them all but my ears still prefer Bose a bit more. My original Bose 901 series III speakers are still in use, after all these 40 years :). When you have a chance, find 'the Sting Sound Track record' and listen to the drums. No speakers could reproduce the sound the same way as the Bose speakers do.
The Yamaha (RX-A730) is a great choice. I do have an older Yamaha AV but it is eating dust now, along with many others. After so many years listening, soft and hard, I now prefer a quiet place in our garden, reading and thinking :)
Congratulations to your selection. It was a great and fine setup.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I missed this also Kevin......we bought our first Bose Lifestyle system in '97.

My hubby is a bit of a nut on sound quality and the Bose really is brilliant, I just can't understand why people would knock the sound quality but as you say there are plenty of Apple knockers out there also.

We've bought quite a bit of Bose kit since then and all have had superb audio. We bought a Soundlink Bluetooth speaker and a Soundtouch system at Christmas and love them both!

Too late, I know! Glad you're happy with what you did buy!

On another note, gees you guys get it so much cheaper than what we pay for Bose in OZ.... :(

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I effectively got the whole lot for free. I quit smoking (again) and spent the proceeds on my hifi equipment. I'm feeling quite pleased with myself as you can imagine. Smoke free for 3 months now.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I effectively got the whole lot for free. I quit smoking (again) and spent the proceeds on my hifi equipment. I'm feeling quite pleased with myself as you can imagine. Smoke free for 3 months now.

Well good for you!! Well done!!

When you actually see what you can have without smoking, it makes quite an impact!

All the best for staying Smoke Free in the future too!

Just imagine what you will be getting next!! ;)

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps an addition . . .:):)
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel Network AV Receiver with Airplay
Price: $379.95 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: $270.00 (42%)
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V675-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00B981F1U

Now that is definitely worth having, especially at that price. Just one thing though. It isn't true 7.2. The subwoofer channel is split, so it's actually 7.1 with two subs. You need to go to the top of the RX-A range to find true x.2 capability.

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kevin, agreed with you that it is definitely worth having, especially at that price. This unit is next to the top of the line from Yamaha and all reviews have been mostly positive.
I have another deal for you and for the great folks of IPF::)
Samsung 32" 720p 60Hz LED HDTV W/ $150 Dell Gift Card $247.99 Free Shipping
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...51207&ACD=10550055-361116-FWcq257i&AID=361116
Although it is 720p, but it would be great to serve as a PC Monitor. And at the price.
I've been doing the same for years and loving it. However, I will not, SHOUT, not buying another Samsung EVER. Every Samsung that I bought, 1/2 dozen or more, had problems just after the warranty period expired. Perhaps Samsung didn't like an iPad owner.:rolleyes:

Most reactions

Latest posts