1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Seeing Filenames in the Photos App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by larrymcg, May 2, 2013.

1. larrymcg

larrymcg iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have used Snapseed to edit some photos. Sometimes the edited photo looks very much like the original and the thumbnails look even more alike.

Is there a way for the Photos app, or is there a different photo displaying app, that will show the filenames along with the photos?

--Larry
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    No, not unless you jailbreak or something. iOS doesn't do filenames.
  3. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +751 / 0
    Hi Larry - welcome to the forum! :)

I feel your frustration - I have about a half dozen photo apps on my iPad 2 and none really satisfies - unfortunately, the native Photo App on a standard iPad does not offer the feature of labeling your photos; although not used much, another app on my device is Photo-Sort - your images can be named but the reviews of this program have been mediocre, but a consideration; now, there may be other apps out there and hopefully others will comment - Dave :)
  4. larrymcg

larrymcg iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have been trying out some photo editing with Snapseed. I noticed that it will show the filename of a file you select to edit. I have some photos that I brought into the iPad Photos app by fetching them off of the SD card from my camera. Snapseed shows the actual filename assigned by the camera. When I edit a photo Snapseed seems to create a filename for the editied photo - something along the lines of IMG_nnnnnn.JPG I also discovered that if I send the photos to Dropbox they display with a totally different name - something like the date and time (all spelled out) followed by .jpg

If I could just see the filename when viewing the thumbnails in the Photos app, it would help a lot. The fact that the edited photos show up in a album called Snapseed helps differentiate them from the originals, which are typically from some other album. But then I edited a photo in the Snapseed album. Confusion abounds. And when you display all the photos as once, rather than album by album, confusion abounds again.

Well, maybe I will someday figure out how to keep things straight without filenames.

--Larry