Seeing Filenames in the Photos App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by larrymcg, May 2, 2013.

1. larrymcg

larrymcg iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have used Snapseed to edit some photos. Sometimes the edited photo looks very much like the original and the thumbnails look even more alike.

Is there a way for the Photos app, or is there a different photo displaying app, that will show the filenames along with the photos?

--Larry
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    No, not unless you jailbreak or something. iOS doesn't do filenames.
  3. giradman

giradman iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +902 / 0
    Hi Larry - welcome to the forum! :)

I feel your frustration - I have about a half dozen photo apps on my iPad 2 and none really satisfies - unfortunately, the native Photo App on a standard iPad does not offer the feature of labeling your photos; although not used much, another app on my device is Photo-Sort - your images can be named but the reviews of this program have been mediocre, but a consideration; now, there may be other apps out there and hopefully others will comment - Dave :)
  4. larrymcg

larrymcg iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have been trying out some photo editing with Snapseed. I noticed that it will show the filename of a file you select to edit. I have some photos that I brought into the iPad Photos app by fetching them off of the SD card from my camera. Snapseed shows the actual filename assigned by the camera. When I edit a photo Snapseed seems to create a filename for the editied photo - something along the lines of IMG_nnnnnn.JPG I also discovered that if I send the photos to Dropbox they display with a totally different name - something like the date and time (all spelled out) followed by .jpg

If I could just see the filename when viewing the thumbnails in the Photos app, it would help a lot. The fact that the edited photos show up in a album called Snapseed helps differentiate them from the originals, which are typically from some other album. But then I edited a photo in the Snapseed album. Confusion abounds. And when you display all the photos as once, rather than album by album, confusion abounds again.

Well, maybe I will someday figure out how to keep things straight without filenames.

--Larry