What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security of the password protection on iPad first generation

Nittfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. I had my first generation iPad stolen a few days ago. I had it passwork protected, but I assume it can be easily gotten into by anyone that is technologically "savvy"? I did not have anything terribly secret or sensitive in there, but there are some things related to my bank account and stuff like that. I had that all very vague, with only minimal reminders to jog my memory about account details and passwords, etc. Just to be safe, I went on line and changed the passords to all my accounts ........................... So, can someone with sophisticated abilities break into my iPad even though it was password protecte? Thanks.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They can erase it and initialize it as new, but no. There is no magic way to get into your locked iPad and read your stuff.

Did you have Find my IPad enabled? Have you done a remote wipe?

OP
N

Nittfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thewitt; thanks for your reply. I do not recall if I had the "find my iPad" enabled. I purchased it about 18 months ago, and I do not recall if I did that or not. I remember thinking that would be a good thing. Can I do the remote wipe without having that (find my iPad) enabled? I am sure it must be registered with Apple somehow.

So, since my iPad was password locked someone with a bit of knowledge would be able to totally erase it and begin anew?

Thanks for your help. I am not of the "techie" or gadget generation, so there is much about these things that I do not know.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can run Find my iPad on the me.com website. If it's enabled and still on you may see it and be able to send the wipe command.

Apple will not locate or wipe your iPad for you.

It's quite simple to wipe the device and make it your own, so the chances of it being recovered at this point are very slim.

OP
N

Nittfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses thewitt. I am not going to worry about it at this point. It has been over a week. Nothing has occurred on our credit cards, bank account, etc. I changed ALL the passwords anyway, and everything I had stored on the iPad was intentionally very, very vague. It is covered by our homeowners insurance - all but $200. So, we will be getting an updated one, and just because I am USUALLY a cautious person, I will continue to monitor our accounts daily.

Most reactions