What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

section "other" is more than 50 gb

parsprototo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After tranfering a number of large files via filebrowser my "other" section is 53 Gb. What I can do now to clear it up? I tried to sync the Ipad with itunes several times. But that didn't help. Help!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
parsprototo said:
After tranfering a number of large files via filebrowser my "other" section is 53 Gb. What I can do now to clear it up? I tried to sync the Ipad with itunes several times. But that didn't help. Help!

iBooks, audio books, comic books etc are typical offenders. Try a cleanup in that area for starters.

Application user data use other space too. Big offenders are offline readers like goodreader. Go through your apps and pull up settings within the app and clear stored content where applicable.

Also seems a corrupt file or files from a sync could do this. Only way out if this is the case is factory reset.

Last edited:
OP
P

parsprototo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for reply.
All my apps folders are clear (including VLC folders).
I think: this is caused by fragments of transferred files which got "stick" in memory. The "open in" feature has its limitation: it only alows your transfer files up to 350 mb. Anf I tried to transfer larger files (1-2 Gb) over and over again. The transfer failed. But my memory suddenly became full (59 Gb). And now I cannot cleare it up. In fact my Ipad is nearly empty: I deleted all media content. But I can't find out where these 50 Gb should be. It's strange that Apple doesn't have some simple app to clear the garbage. PC (hello, I'm PC) has it for ages. Not to mention the limitation for "open in" (350 mb) which is really stupid and makes filebrowser etc. almost useless. Sorry for my english...

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a good guide here

osxdaily.com/2011/10/18/itunes-other-capacity-taking-up-tons-of-space-fix/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
parsprototo said:
Thank you for reply.
I think: this is caused by fragments of transferred files which got "stick" in memory. The "open in" feature has its limitation: it only alows your transfer files up to 350 mb. Anf I tried to transfer larger files (1-2 Gb) over and over again. The transfer failed. But my memory suddenly became full (59 Gb). And now I cannot cleare it up. In fact my Ipad is nearly empty: I deleted all media content. But I can't find out where these 50 Gb should be. It's strange that Apple doesn't have some simple app to clear the garbage. PC (hello, I'm PC) has it for ages. Not to mention the limitation for "open in" (350 mb) which is really stupid and makes filebrowser etc. almost useless. Sorry for my english...

If you look around there are utilities that allow you to browse(and subsequently) manipulate items in a backup. You backup, you modify the backup, you restore from the backup and viola. If you cannot locate shout.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
parsprototo said:
Thank you for reply.

If unable to identify and delete the problem objects then I am afraid RFS (restore factory settings or really freakin stupid) is the only alternative.

I will look around for that backup edit tool when I get to the office. Right now COFFEE and more coffee then off to work

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you mean VLC that was pulled from the app store. I also have this app and have found that if you use it to play a video it does not release the storage.

The only workaround I have found is to uninstall the app and reinstall it through iTunes.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

OP
P

parsprototo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already downloaded the utility. But there is a great press of work now. Therefore I will try it tomorrow. And then report if it works for me. Todaywe have V-Day celebrations. Salute our allies! :)

OP
P

parsprototo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my report
After several attempts with Ibackupbot I have recognized that I can't find any file more than 1 Gb. In fact it was just one file. I deleted it without any effect. I think the utility is really good. But I just can't master it. Eventually I did reset and then restored my settings from beckup. The problem has been solved. Now my free memory space is 58 Gb. Thank you for good advice. It turned out not so much terrible.restriction
But the main question remains. The "open in" feature has the transfaer limitation (up to 350 mb) even after new update (5.1.1). I wonder if it is a kind of bug? Or rather conscious restriction?

Most reactions

Latest posts