What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'secret' updates

david990

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way Apple does 'secret' updated to the OS while syncing. I know that syncing and updating the OS are different things in iTunes. The reason I suspect that Apple has done something is this:
I use three third party chargers (external battery, wall charger, USB adapter) and a few third party sync cables and they all worked for the entire time I had them. A few days ago they all 'stopped working'. The iPad wouldn't charge. Only when I used the original cable they would charge.

I know many will say, yes some third party cables don't work. Well thing is, they *all* worked the entire time I had them, with all three third party chargers. Not a single complaint. And now three days ago they all stopped working. They still work fine with my iPhone 3G so the cables and chargers haven't changed.

I'm just wondering if Apple did a small modification under the hood to disable third party cables/chargers during one of my last syncs.
Anyone else had similar experiences?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No updates are made to iOS without a User's authorisation. The problems you're experiencing must result from a different cause.

Tim

OP
D

david990

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it was a physical defect or change on the iPad the original cable would be affected. And since two 3rd party cables that worked fine for a year, both stopped working properly at the very same time makes finding a logical explanation difficult.

Metra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some third party cables have a shorter "plug" than the Apple ones -- so check to see if you have something in your power port preventing full insertion of the plug... Or try taking the case off...

I had short plug problem with someDdurasynch cables, they were replaced by the company and the new ones were fine. The difference was less than 1mm in one case, the other two were 2mm shorter than the Apple plug (I'm talking about the steel part that extends from the plug case).

Hth,

Metra

Most reactions

Latest posts