What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Hand iPad 3G Activation...

alan111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought a 32GB 3G iPad off of ebay. Got it yesterday. Looks great. I want to get the 3G activated on it. How do I got about doing that? I am not currently an ATT subscriber.

I went to an ATT store today to get help. They told me that these micro sim cards are under heavy security and cannot be sold, unless an 'error code' is coming up on the iPad. They said that this is for security measures, as not to activate a stolen iPad.

The previous seller left his sim inside the iPad.

What do you guys reccomend I do? I really want to get it activated ASAP as I'm leaving for a trip soon!

Thanks

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to an ATT store ,told them I needed a new SIM card and why and they gave me one and I then activated it.

You are trying to give them money by activating the card so it just makes sense they would let you have one.

Evidently if there is an issue with your card they would just charge $15.00 but again,no charge for a new one for me.

Good Luck
Ed

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought a 32GB 3G iPad off of ebay. Got it yesterday. Looks great. I want to get the 3G activated on it. How do I got about doing that? I am not currently an ATT subscriber.

I went to an ATT store today to get help. They told me that these micro sim cards are under heavy security and cannot be sold, unless an 'error code' is coming up on the iPad. They said that this is for security measures, as not to activate a stolen iPad.

What do you guys reccomend I do? I really want to get it activated ASAP as I'm leaving for a trip soon!

Thanks

I presume that the ipad is activated and that u now whant to use the 3G function in it, if that is the case u only needs a simcard from any carrier with a dataplan if the ipad not is locked to a special carrier, that i doubt is is, i bought my ipads in NY and only used the at&t card to avtivate the ipad, then i was able to use any carrier of my choice.

If u have a existing celluarphone / iPhone with an existing dataplan i would get a twincard (if possible) to that card and use It In the iPad, maybe u get an extra fee / month, but It use to be cheaper then having two Carrier setups. And If they not can give u a twincard in microsim format?, just cut It down, there are many sites describing how to cut down a regular sim to a microsim, and big + Is that the twincard caontains all the features that your cellphone has ex sms/mms that many pure dataplan simcards doesent have activated.

Last edited:

lakshmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks
hi, i have just bought an Ipad off ebay. 64g ,3g.but there is no paper work (didnot check before buyinG!!)..Is it possible to get a serial number ?

Most reactions