What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Searching in mail does not bring results from unread emails?

Kingdozzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.
I just joined and got my lovely iPad on iOS 8.3, but have a problem that doesn't seem to be answered here yet (or at least I haven't found it).
I noticed when searching mail for a keyword, results are never listed from the emails which are still marked as unread. I'm not talking about the ones not downloaded from exchange yet. I'm talking about even emails from a few days ago which have already been downloaded into iPad just are just still marked unread. I know some of the smiles have the keyword I search as I have a few exchange accounts in my iPad too, but also on outlook, and regular outlook on desktop finds the keywords from the unread emails just fine.
Any solution would be appreciated. Perhaps a different iPad app will work better then regular mail for this feature? Or am I just doing something wrong/settings need changing.
Thanks all.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF!

Which account do you use to search for emails?

If it's Outlook: did you set up the account with the Outlook.com feature provided by Apple?

There's no setting you can change on the iPad or in the Mail app. I've just tried searching for a few emails, and my Mail app listed unread emails as well. I suppose the difference of this behaviour results from the way the account was set up when adding it to the iPad.

OP
K

Kingdozzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hiya,
Thanks for helping.
You are correct to an extent that it's hiw its set up as I think I figured out more. I searched again and it finds unread emails but only if the text shows in the 'preview few lines' in mail, or if the message has been downloaded in full previously. If a mail has been read, then clicked unread in mail, it does indeed find it so leads me to beleive it's about how much of the actual email, the mail app has actually downloaded off the server. This is the behaviour I'm wondering if can be changed.
P.s the issue seems to only be when its searches from a professional exchange account, but not a hotmail or outlook.com or iCloud email account, which mail seems to search words fine on unread emails.
So Weird... Must be a download full or part of a message issue and this happens based on type of email account/email provider mail searches.

Most reactions

Latest posts