What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Searching A Manuscript On the iPad!

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad I have GoodReader, DocsToGo and iAnnotate. I also have imported a large number of text files and want to use one of my purchased apps (or another if I have to buy it) to do word searches of some fairly large manuscripts. Which program will do a search (like the find command on a PC) of a large text file.

Thanks for any help here

Jerry (male half of the jerliz combo)

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iAnnotate

On my iPad I have GoodReader, DocsToGo and iAnnotate. I also have imported a large number of text files and want to use one of my purchased apps (or another if I have to buy it) to do word searches of some fairly large manuscripts. Which program will do a search (like the find command on a PC) of a large text file.

Thanks for any help here

iAnnotate indexes all the text in all your PDFs for a blindingly fast search.

Learn how to use it.

iBooks also has a text search of a single PDF

SweetJanet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help!

iTunes erased my goodreader but when I reloaded it my files are gone. I see that they are still in my iPad but I don't know how to get them

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for any help here

iAnnotate indexes all the text in all your PDFs for a blindingly fast search.

Learn how to use it.

iBooks also has a text search of a single PDF

Yeah, GoodReader also has search.

Yeah but "how?". Was the question.... Learn how to use it is not the answer...

I just opened good reader and can't readily see how to search so if one of you could explain Jerry and I would both know how. :D

OP
J

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of us come to this forum with a sincere desire/request for help. It is really discouraging when you get misleading information (quite often) and then spend a lot of time on the misdirection.

If you don't really know the answer, and, I had that happen last week with a problem I was having with email, why jump in, and misdirect someone?

Someone sends me on a long search and later admits they didn't know the answer after all. Rather than try to appear wise and send someone on a wild goose chase, wouldn't it be better not to say anything.

The next thing, just as bad, or worse, is when someone just tries to be funny rather than helpful. Where has civility gone?

Can someone briefly give a step by step process for using the search feature in iAnnotate. I would try and find it in their user manual, but that's just the point ... I don't understand the search feature and am trying to save an inordinate amount of time reading the entire manual.

Thanks again for any help.

Jer

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, GoodReader also has search.

Yeah but "how?". Was the question.... Learn how to use it is not the answer...

I just opened good reader and can't readily see how to search so if one of you could explain Jerry and I would both know how. :D

Open a PDF, tap in the middle of the screen to expose the toolbar.

Click on the magnifying glass symbol:
(...)

A search dialog will present itself.

Type in the text you want to search for.

Press Search

You will then be presented with further search options like:

You may continue to search by pressing (∇)

When you are finished searching, press (X)

attachment.php

Attachments

• ipad-goodreader-google-scan.jpg
    ipad-goodreader-google-scan.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, I guess that doesn't work with doc files though...no magnify but solves the PDF :D

Most reactions

Latest posts